Help Please with disease identification

pochaxoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some fish issues and need help diagnosing so I can treat the fish. For the last 2 - 3 weeks I have noticed my sharknose goby constantly nipping at the side of my yellow tang. From my research I understand they are either cleaner fish mimics or actually eat parasites. Either way about 2 weeks ago I took the goby out and moved him to the refugium to see if it made a difference. After a week the tang looked and was acting normal so I moved the little goby back to the DT. Today I notice a Chromis that has lost body control and is being pushed around in a vertical orientation and later got stuck on the weir. I also noticed the sharknose goby was nipping at the Yellow tang and the Kole tang today, again on the flanks. When I had a closer look the Yellow tang has a gash on the flank and has a pale whitish discoloration around the head. After looking a little closer I notice my anthias has a worse gash. The Chromis has since died, I netted him off the bottom and took the following pictures. I would like some help understanding if this is Uronema, bacteria, protozoa, fungal or something else? The yellow tang and Athias are eating well. The Chromis had been skulking either at the bottom or top of aquarium in the shade for a few days, I didn't think anything of it at the time. The chromis doesn't seem to have anything like the signs I see on the tang and anthias but posted a small nick on the upper left side below

I am suspecting that my attempts to bring the Salinity down from 35.3 have caused the problem. It is at 34.9 today but was a 35.0 - 35.1 a couple of days ago when I measured last.
I would appreciate any suggestions on how to treat the fish.

TankRightFlank.jpeg
anthias right.jpeg
left flank2.jpeg

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Mixed Reef DT
Aquarium water volume: 165 gallons total volume in DT, Fuge, and Sumps
Filtration type: Skimmer, Filter socks, Chaeto Refuguim on opposite light cycle
Lighting: 2 X Kessil AP9X at peak 38% intensity in middle of day
How long has the aquarium been established? 8+ months

Water quality (be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using)
Temperature: 78.1 - 78.3 F
pH: 8.12 to 8.5 (Depending on whether you trust my Apex probe or Red Sea test kit more)
Salinity / specific gravity: 34.9 (I had been working this down over the last few weeks from 35.3 and this may be the root cause of stress)
Nitrate: 5 ppm
Phosphorus: .02 ppm
Alkalinity: 8.5

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet? Yes the Chromis died today
Are any invertebrates affected? I am noticing my 3 Anemones are retracted and not happy, that is why I suspect the salinity change
Are the affected fish still feeding? Yes
What remedies have you tried so far? None, preparing QT tank

Last edited:

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe it’s the salinity shift. The cuts could have been made by the surgeonfish, though that does not explain the cut on the yellow tang. Anything else in the tank? Hitchhiker mantis shrimp?

OP
OP
pochaxoo

pochaxoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely no mantis shrimp and while I would expect that injury from another tang, I don't see my kole tang ever aggressing on anything...nor do I see the same spike like the Yellow Tang has.

Inventory of animals in tank:
5 Chromis
2 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Fire Shirmp
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Sharknose Goby
1 Kole Tang
1 Midas Blenny
1 Yellow Tang
1 Anthias
1 Royal Grama
1 Purple Pseudochromis
2 X Ocallaris Clowns
3 RBTA
Coral: Zoas, Favia, Trachies, Goni, Acropora, Montipora

Last edited:

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely no mantis shrimp and while I would expect that injury from another tang, I don't see my kole tang ever aggressing on anything...nor do I see the same spike like the Yellow Tang has.

Inventory of animals in tank:
5 Chromis
2 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Fire Shirmp
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Sharknose Goby
1 Kole Tang
1 Midas Blenny
1 Yellow Tang
1 Anthias
1 Royal Grama
1 Purple Pseudochromis
2 X Ocallaris Clowns
3 RBTA
Coral: Zoas, Favia, Trachies, Goni, Acropora, Montipora
Kole tangs absolutely have the same barbs as other tangs, they’re not as visible as they are on, for example, yellow tangs, but they’re there and they can sort of retract them. Also, you may not see typical aggression, they’ll sort of back up to the fish they have an issue with and sort of wiggle their tail/backside at them, they may or may not chase the other fish or pick at/nip at them with their mouth, it can be pretty subtle.

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Missed the Kole... that explains the yt. You may be able to set up a cell phone on video record if you are out of the room to see if aggression may happen in your absence.

OP
OP
pochaxoo

pochaxoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand the slash on the yellow tang coming from the Kole as he has been agressed on before by the YT and would respond, but neither of these fish are in the same kind of swimming pattern as the Anthias or Chromis, they just don't associate or get near them ever. I only ever see the Kole agressing on the lawnmower blenny as he represents a competitor for algae.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema can cause linear red lesions on fish (it is sometimes called red band disease) but those aren't as narrow as the two in this picture - I'd say those are tang hits.

Jay

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back