scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1460514707433.jpg
he was happy up till a couple of days ago
I was thinking you might check to see if you have planara/flatworms on you leather. Is it sluffing skin like stuff now. If so litely brush off with a soft bristle tooth brush, alittle at a time.

Last edited:

ProjectAnemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how does it look now? Mine do this every now and then, but bounce back after a day or so.

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Softies get angry sometimes as long as he's not melting and disintegrating I wouldn't worry. Just for clarification when you say carbon reactor do you mean activated carbon or bio pellets ?

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
carbon dosing it is , thank you. One of my builds I went the bio pellet route . I used to much to fast not knowing any better and it stripped the nutrients out of my tank leading to everything very unhappy . lost some sps colonies that were with me for years. huge leather that was bright neon green turn all brown , etc.... I followed the recommended amount but it was too much too fast. if you choose to still carbon dose I would only start with a quarter of the recommended amount for your size tank and gradually increase over the next couple months. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
jnj97

jnj97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
carbon dosing it is , thank you. One of my builds I went the bio pellet route . I used to much to fast not knowing any better and it stripped the nutrients out of my tank leading to everything very unhappy . lost some sps colonies that were with me for years. huge leather that was bright neon green turn all brown , etc.... I followed the recommended amount but it was too much too fast. if you choose to still carbon dose I would only start with a quarter of the recommended amount for your size tank and gradually increase over the next couple months. Hope that helps.
I normally don't run carbon. But I all of a sudden developed a phosphate issue. Its a. 008 so I hooked up the carbon. Then the tank got cloudy so I took half the carbon out. Then the leathers weren't happy so i shut the carbon off all together. Two days later the colt and the toadstool opened. But he still hasn't.

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.008 phosphate is hardly an issue. I would say to much flow in the reactor if the water got cloudy. the flow should only be fast enough to have the pellets tumble gently , just enough so they don't stick together.

OP
OP
jnj97

jnj97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I upgraded to a 55 from a 20 I got a cyno problem. Than that let to Dino's. Uggggg....... I got all that under control and now this. The phosphates are .008 I still have some spots that have light light brown on them. So frustrating lol

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also the outlet of the reactor should be placed near the intake of your protein skimmer so the bacteria can be remove more efficiently.

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I upgraded to a 55 from a 20 I got a cyno problem. Than that let to Dino's. Uggggg....... I got all that under control and now this. The phosphates are .008 I still have some spots that have light light brown on them. So frustrating lol
What water are you using for your water changes and your top offs ?

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are keeping softies Only, then 5-20ppm nitrates is fine as they prefer dirtier water. I would have a carbon filter to absorb a chemical that leathers secrete. Indirect medium water movement is also preferred, intermittent is better. Here is a pic when I was into leathers,now SPS and LPS.
My Past Pics before 2014 025.JPG
Don't mean to hijack this thread but is more feeding the way to raise nitrates?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never really sweated nitrates as long as they stay under 30 I'm good and I've had them over what the red sea test kit maxed at when I switch to stronger pumps in a 15 year old set up.
As long as you don't have a tank full of sps I wouldn't sweat it and prob half those Facebook peeps prob don't have 0 either

^ This.

Nitrates not a huge deal with soft corals, just keep them under 20-30 and it's all good. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back