Help please!!

ReefinRich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not certain what’s going on with my octospawn, we got it on Sunday and it looked great at the frag swap. I got it home and dipped it and it was angry as I expected it to be, but it’s not opening back up. In fact it’s receding pretty bad.

I dipped it in CoralRx for the recommended time and rinsed it.

I have noticed any Brown Jelly on it or around it, but it still is angry. I’ve got it in a pretty low area of flow and it’s under T5 lighting.

Do they take awhile to recover or am I SOL?

Here is the picture from tonight

c5592cdfbdfc3d5a9679617b3f4c949c.jpeg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,
What was the outcome?

OP
OP
ReefinRich

ReefinRich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,
What was the outcome?

Hi, I apologize for not updating sooner. I’ve been busy with work and school. Unfortunately the octospawn succumbed to brown jelly disease. When I first noticed it I siphoned off everything that I could and redipped it to try and eliminate any of the infection.

The first 24 hours post dip it began to respond and actually started to open up, however after the first day when I came home from work the following evening it was completely coated in brown jelly. After siphoning more it became apparent that the majority of the coral was gone and was few polyps remained appeared to be showing initial signs of the infection.

I had to make the decision to remove the coral before the infection spread to the rest of my Euphyllia in my tank. It was a very tough decision, but I’ve learned in life that the need of the many, outweigh the need of the few.

So now it’s gone and I’m actively looking for a replacement for my wife.

I appreciate everyone who offered their advise in this situation.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry... ;Sorry

Brown Jelly is bad news. You did the right thing.

OP
OP
ReefinRich

ReefinRich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it sucks. I hate losing anything in my tanks because it makes me feel like a failure. However, after looking at the skeleton after it had dried out and been cleaned, it appears that during the fragging process it was cut fairly deep into the tissue, so I’m assuming that’s where the infection came from. Who knows though, I don’t want to make an accusation about anything.

Thanks again

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my first experience with brown jelly a couple months ago. It hit fast and hard I lost 5heads in three days. Day 1 I noticed it on 2 heads, Day 2 I clipped three affected heads and Day 3 I noticed it on 2 more and clipped those. Blew my mind how fast it spread

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry @ReefinRich

I am pretty comfortable with my SPS dipping process (Bayer, 3X 3 weeks).

But I am not so comfortable with my LPS dip: Revive and Lugol's (iodine).

For LPS, what is tried & true and works for everyone?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my first experience with brown jelly a couple months ago. It hit fast and hard I lost 5heads in three days. Day 1 I noticed it on 2 heads, Day 2 I clipped three affected heads and Day 3 I noticed it on 2 more and clipped those. Blew my mind how fast it spread

Yeah,
Brown Jelly is no joke.

It can spread like wild fire.

OP
OP
ReefinRich

ReefinRich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry @ReefinRich

I am pretty comfortable with my SPS dipping process (Bayer, 3X 3 weeks).

But I am not so comfortable with my LPS dip: Revive and Lugol's (iodine).

For LPS, what is tried & true and works for everyone?

So I guess maybe I’ve been thinking about the dipping process wrong. Are you saying I should use different dips based on the type of coral?

I’ve only used CoralRx for everything. Should I be dipping my SPS in something different from my LPS and softies?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if any dip can handle brown jelly, but all ears... :)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read something about hydrogen peroxide but decided clipping was a better solution for a ~20 head colony

I got an wall hammer, but when I got it home it must have gotten damaged during transportation. Brown Jelly came on quick... :eek:

As an last resort... ;Nailbiting dipped in RO/DI to matching tanks temp. Well it stopped, but I might have just got lucky.

That was years ago, but it's still flourishing and it has overgrown back over that one wall.

(lol)
All or broke with an wall hammer.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess maybe I’ve been thinking about the dipping process wrong. Are you saying I should use different dips based on the type of coral?

I’ve only used CoralRx for everything. Should I be dipping my SPS in something different from my LPS and softies?

Honestly, I don't know. My potentially flawed logic went like this:

• I believe it is reasonable to assume the different species carry different pests or diseases
  • I like what Bayer does for the common SPS pests, but the stuff is pretty nasty and completely artificial
  • I don't buy SPS colonies anymore. Just frags. So I am minimizing trace introduction of Bayer into my systems

• LPS come with a lot more area that either retains more fluid or is not flesh covered and permeable. More chance to introduce Bayer into my systems which bothers me. Justifiably or not.
  • LPS also "seem to" harbor more -- and fail to -- infections more than my SPS do. (Thus the antiseptic dip).
  • My LFS dips with Revive, and I have seen it stun and sometimes kill a variety of good and bed hitchhikers that come in from wholesale operators.

Again, I really don't know. I have lost LPS to brown jelly before a few years back. That is when I added Lugols dip, but I don't have many observations to suggest that it is really effective and thus my open question.

OP
OP
ReefinRich

ReefinRich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I don't know. My potentially flawed logic went like this:

• I believe it is reasonable to assume the different species carry different pests or diseases
  • I like what Bayer does for the common SPS pests, but the stuff is pretty nasty and completely artificial
  • I don't buy SPS colonies anymore. Just frags. So I am minimizing trace introduction of Bayer into my systems

• LPS come with a lot more area that either retains more fluid or is not flesh covered and permeable. More chance to introduce Bayer into my systems which bothers me. Justifiably or not.
  • LPS also "seem to" harbor more -- and fail to -- infections more than my SPS do. (Thus the antiseptic dip).
  • My LFS dips with Revive, and I have seen it stun and sometimes kill a variety of good and bed hitchhikers that come in from wholesale operators.

Again, I really don't know. I have lost LPS to brown jelly before a few years back. That is when I added Lugols dip, but I don't have many observations to suggest that it is really effective and thus my open question.

Maybe I’ll have to pick up some Bayer to dip my SPS in. I know I’ve seen it before, but could you post a picture and the dipping regimen you follow when it comes to SPS.

I know for certain coral I’ll do a peroxide wash. Mainly my zoas, but nothing else really. I’ve thought about the whole ro/di dip, but haven’t done that yet.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the solution that Battlecorals does: My initial dosage is 3.5 oz bayer to about 1000ml tank water. Basting them pretty good for 15 minutes.

The hard part of using it besides cleanup is the milky color obscures your view of creatures removed. I suck them out from the bottom of my glass dipping bowl for inspection.

This is a good thread from Battle. He talks about moving over to Reef Primer from Polyp Labs eventually.

IMG_3891.jpg IMG_3893.jpg

OP
OP
ReefinRich

ReefinRich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the solution that Battlecorals does: My initial dosage is 3.5 oz bayer to about 1000ml tank water. Basting them pretty good for 15 minutes.

The hard part of using it besides cleanup is the milky color obscures your view of creatures removed. I suck them out from the bottom of my glass dipping bowl for inspection.

This is a good thread from Battle. He talks about moving over to Reef Primer from Polyp Labs eventually.

IMG_3891.jpg IMG_3893.jpg

Awesome, I appreciate it. I’ll have to look into it. I mean I’m willing to do anything to help my reef thrive.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back