Bunker's Build

ReefinRich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I’m building a 56 gallon column tank. I’m attempting to make this as close to a self-sustainable ecosystem as possible. The equipment I have so far is the tank, stand and canopy. I also have a refugium sump, Eshopps PSK-75 HOB skimmer, and a Vectra M1 return pump.

This is my first saltwater aquarium I’m build from scratch. I’m very excited and wanting to bring everyone along on this journey. I’ll post pictures once I get home on Wednesday. Till then Happy Reefin

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I’m building a 56 gallon column tank. I’m attempting to make this as close to a self-sustainable ecosystem as possible. The equipment I have so far is the tank, stand and canopy. I also have a refugium sump, Eshopps PSK-75 HOB skimmer, and a Vectra M1 return pump.

This is my first saltwater aquarium I’m build from scratch. I’m very excited and wanting to bring everyone along on this journey. I’ll post pictures once I get home on Wednesday. Till then Happy Reefin
the idea of a self sustaining reef is great but there are a few things we can't automate or replicate naturally unfortunately. You got some photos?

OP
OP
ReefinRich

ReefinRich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, it's been awhile since I've been able to add to this build, my Dachshund Bunker passed away last Wednesday, so I haven't really felt like doing a lot with it. So I'm dedicating this build to him. It will be known as Bunker's Build.

I've managed to get it up and running. However, during this time I've learned quite a bit and I'm ready to pass it along to everyone. I will save some of you who don't want to read all the way through some time

tl;dr - **** is up and running. Things changed, some good, some bad, but either way, waters flowing.

Ok, So since my initial post, I've changed some things up. First I've went from the Eshopps PSK HOB Skimmer, to a Eshopps X-120. after a lot of reading and researching I decided to go with the in sump skimmer for a variety of reasons. First, with my tank being roughly 70 gallons total volume between display and sump, this skimmer handles 75 gallon tanks heavily loaded. I don't plan on this tank being heavy on fish so I figure I should be good there. Secondly, in sump vs HOB, in sump wins hands down, in case of overflows it'll just go into my sump instead of on my floor.
1567661044315.png

Next, and this wasn't by choice, I had to go with the Sicce 3.0 instead of the Vectra M1. I didn't want to do this, but unfortunately the Vectra did not fit into the return section of my sump and I was very disappointed. I've tried multiple thoughts and the only way I could use it and not risk cracking the acrylic is to drill and place a bulk head on the side of the sump, and I just didn't want to do that. However, it gives me the pump for my next build. Huzzah!!
1567661082559.png

Lights....this was tough, so many options, but because of the design of my canopy (I'll never go with a short canopy again, or any canopy for that matter), I was pretty limited on lighting options. I ended up going with Orphek OR60s. I have 3 24" LED bars that are mounted to the lid of the canopy. I went with two Reef Daylight, and one Blue plus. In retrospect, I would've probably done the two Blue Plus and one Reef Daylight, but we live and learn and I'm sure I can always replace it.
1567661150103.png

Plumbing, oh plumbing how I loathed thee. First and foremost, make sure you dry run everything, you'd be surprised on how it can be measured 349 times, but you cut once and then the PVC fittings are like "Feeling cut, might let you slide in another half inch"...However, I learned that once it's all together it's together. I took some advice though and ran my emergency line down into my refugium area, this way if water starts coming down the pipe, hopefully it'll be loud enough to alert me to something going wrong.

I painted the back of the aquarium black, a couple coats and it looks good. Along with the black background, I went with black substrate. I'm hoping that between the back and bottom being black that the coral will actually pop even more, I hope. The only trick with painting the back was the Eshopps Eclipse M overflow box, more on that later...
1567661359380.png

And we're back...So the Eshopps Eclipse M overflow box, simple enough two boxes, a bulkhead, nut, and a couple gaskets right....sure, except when it came to putting the danged thing back together. So I take it off, my wife painted he back of the tank (mainly because my painting skills just haven't be recognized as an art form just yet) and we let it dry. A few days later on my next day off, I reattach the the overflow box. The instructions say, " place the internal box against the glass and slide the bulkhead through the opening. Then place BOTH GASKETS onto the bulkhead. Slide the overflow box onto the bulkhead and thread the nut till hand tight". So they want it like this "Internal box>glass>gasket>gasket>overflow box>nut."

1567660987494.png

I thought to myself, "This must by a typo, I know better than to do it like this". (Insert superhero pose) So I went the way that made sense to me. Internal box>gasket>glass>gasket>overflow box>nut. Hey, guess what, it leaks. So I looked around and went to BRS, the recommended " Internal box>glass>gasket>overflow box>gasket>nut....Well I'll be a monkeys uncle, it F^%&ING LEAKED TOO!! So being the cool, calm and collected person that I am. I went back to their instructions, thinking what the heck, what's a little more what on my floor. I followed the instructions and not a single drop has leaked since installation...I can only assume it's some sort of black magic, or Jedi force trick.

So yeah this is where I'm at right now, I've also dosed Nitrocycle and Fritz Turbostart 900. So hopefully that helps, but at this point I'm not too in a rush for it to cycle, so if it takes longer, no big deal.

OP
OP
ReefinRich

ReefinRich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**Update time**

So I finally got the last of my equipment and I officially have Bunker’s Reef cycling. It’snice to finally hear the water flowing and it not be all over my floor (dang Plumbers taps). I’ll attach some pictures of the tank and sump area. You’ll have to forgive the quality, they were taken with a toaster.

6624F3AD-9285-476E-8BA9-C8F78491E54E.jpeg
246ECC48-B2CD-4180-A84C-956DF5FF457B.jpeg

Now just to wait for the cycle to finish.
Till next time...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back