Help Please

nerses818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my question is for all you sps gurus. i know that ca an alk stability are extremely crucial for the thriving of sps in a reef tank but im confused. How do u figure out how much you have to dose daily? i currently dose with brightwell products and ive been happy with the results but i constantly read how you gurus dose daily and i was wondering how did you find that magic number of ml for daily dosage? I would love to add more sps in my tank without having to worry about whether or not my dosing is good enough for them. Thnx in advance to anyone who helps out

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would never call myself a guru, but all my SPS are consistently healthy;) Every tank is different, no mathematical formula will help with dosing, you just need to learn your tank needs by testing frequently. Its a pain, but I test either every night(Salifert) or every second night max. Also happily back to two-part after ditching Kalk.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to the BRS web page and find the chemicals calculator. It will tell you how much two part you need to go from your current reading to your target. Then through testing you'll be able to tell how much your tanks using each day. There's a couple other calculators floating around too

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test your levels right after a water change and then again right before. Figure out how much they are dropping each day and then use the BRS calculator to get an estimate on how much you need to be adding per day. Once you have that done, do some more testing to fine-tune the amounts.

CJ

OP
OP
nerses818

nerses818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically I start testing when my ca and alk are already at desirable levels and then test every night at the same time and see how much the ca dropped from the previous night and so on until the end of the week. Then I should find like an average decrease and dose accordingly? Then I should repeat the experiment again just to ensure my original results are accurate. Is this the right idea?

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't bother testing every night. Just test after a water change and before the next water change and divide by the number of days to get your average drop per day. Put that number in the BRS calculator to find out about how much you should be dosing. Start with that amount and see how it goes. Adjust the amount to whether that amount keeps it constant or not.

CJ

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back