OP
OP
F

fishdad34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it has end stage freshwater ick. That is VERY difficult to ID on Dalmatian mollies due to their black and white color, but I think that's what it is.

Sorry, but I don't think you will be able to start a cure fast enough to save it. If you want to try, you need to bring the salt level up to 4 parts per thousand. The amount to add is 0.39 pounds per ten gallons. Do this is two additions, a few hours apart. You need to know exactly how much water your tank holds. At the same time, you need to start a freshwater ich medication. There are a lot of junk products out there, so see if your pet store has any good ones they recommend. Ich Guard is one that works.

Jay
is freshwater ick different than ick? ive seen ick a lot and this doesn't seem like it to me. it's the white spots that kinda pop out a little correct? that's just her coloring. i have about 5 tablespoons of salt in there right now. how much more salt would i have to add to that? i'm sorry in advance, i'm a novice at this. if you need another video i could do that too.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is marine ich and freshwater ich. How they live and affect the fish is similar but treatments are different. Salt is the simplest method. Ich will look like grains of salt attached to the fins and body. Hard to see on white fish, but you can tell with raised spots.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is freshwater ick different than ick? ive seen ick a lot and this doesn't seem like it to me. it's the white spots that kinda pop out a little correct? that's just her coloring. i have about 5 tablespoons of salt in there right now. how much more salt would i have to add to that? i'm sorry in advance, i'm a novice at this. if you need another video i could do that too.
I thought I can see raised spots up near the dorsal fin, but perhaps not?
Ugh, I don’t know how much a tablespoon of salt weighs, so I can’t do the math for you. You can safely add another five tablespoons, so do that. Then, dose the tank with an ich cure (will work on costia and other protozoans). Paraguard is another one you can use.
Good luck!
Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sry new to this.
It's a Quarantine tank
10 gallons
AquaClear HOB Power Filter, 5 to 20 gallons
led flood light 40w (temporary)
tank has been setup about 4 months

temp: 77-78 degrees
pH: 7.8
Salinity / specific gravity: n/a
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15
Phosphorus: n/a
Copper: n/a
I lost one fish to this problem. fish is not eating at this time.
I've tried 1 tablespoon salt per 2 gallons for 10 gallons and i also tried general cure.

trying to attach video but i think file is too big.
Just to make sure - it's a new freshwater QT tank. As others have said - salinity is not as important Nor are some of the other questions - which more relate to reef tanks.

A swimming issue like you describe - sounds like a swim bladder issue - which can be due to transit, infection, stress, etc. I would consider treating with a broad spectrum freshwater antibiotic (I won't make specific recommendations - because some medications are not available in some areas). Your LFS will have recommendations (hopefully). PS - sometimes this can be caused by intestinal parasites/obstruction (as you mentioned). Again - I would try to see what your LFS has in stock.

EDIT - I cannot see the pictures for some reason on my feed. Agree with others - that a freshwater ich treatment is in order if there are white 'sprinkles' on the fin and body.

OP
OP
F

fishdad34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to make sure - it's a new freshwater QT tank. As others have said - salinity is not as important Nor are some of the other questions - which more relate to reef tanks.

A swimming issue like you describe - sounds like a swim bladder issue - which can be due to transit, infection, stress, etc. I would consider treating with a broad spectrum freshwater antibiotic (I won't make specific recommendations - because some medications are not available in some areas). Your LFS will have recommendations (hopefully). PS - sometimes this can be caused by intestinal parasites/obstruction (as you mentioned). Again - I would try to see what your LFS has in stock.

EDIT - I cannot see the pictures for some reason on my feed. Agree with others - that a freshwater ich treatment is in order if there are white 'sprinkles' on the fin and body
would kanaplex be ok, someone told me to try that and do another round of general cure. i also have metroplex and maracyn two. ty for your help

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
would kanaplex be ok, someone told me to try that and do another round of general cure. i also have metroplex and maracyn two. ty for your help
Yes. I would think so

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those are good meds, but none would target the ich that is in place.
I have no clue how to see his pictures. If there is ich (freshwater) - kanaplex - will not help - unless there is a secondary bacterial infection

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard anything to say they cannot be mixed, jus the cautious when you do. Given the Molly’s current condition you are best off doing whatever you can. Add extra aeration when dosing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.9%
Back