Help! Puffer has pink ball coming out of its butt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denlinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @eatbreakfast said they will certainly take the fish back they may not give you anything in return but is the money you lose worth the fish life? That is the question you have to ask yourself. Also You said other fish...what other fish are we taking about? Ok for everyone who is in this thread I think we all want a major rundown of your 55gallon tank before we can help you further. It seems every time you reply their is a new surprise such as "other fish". Please list the following ASAP: Ammonia,Nitrate,Nitrite,Salinity, tank size,does it have a sump,Every fish and #, do you have a clean up crew,if so what does it consist of, do you have a skimmer,lighting,any other living organisms, has this tank had any diseases in it from the past 72 days? Some of these questions have been answered but I would like all this info in one post so that we can get a basic understanding of you entire system. DO NOT Leave any important info out and other info you would think would be beneficial please share it. lets work this thing out. And you said it yourself restarting is probably the best option. So is the only thing holding you back from the restart the fish? Lets get you back on track, Im willing to work with you but you gotta not shrug good advice off!
Also a FTS would prob go along way in getting the best advice.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So the ich was not from me, I bought a fish from a LPS and the idiot who sold it to me KNEW it had ich! I didn’t see it because it was smaller than a crumb but I saw it 12 hours after he was in my tank. I called the owner after I took it out of the tank and he said, He has ich? He was in a tank with ich but he didn’t look like he had it. So I HATE fish stores that sell sick fish. Reason being it killed all my fish except my file fish and my green puffer. But I am and yes, it’s a am getting a 90 gallon tank in less than a month. I’ll maybe get a 110! Who knows, but I am saving up money and working overtime at my job, but I do truly want what’s best for Doggo! I think I could get away with him being in there for one more month with no more fish being added, if you guys think it would be OK for him, but I would also leave him in the 55g until the tank is cycled too, fully cycled. I know it’s hard for me to listen to you guys even though you only want to help me, but some things are out of my reach. Thank you all for the support and sorry for me being stubborn...

U noticed the tank the fish was in had other fish with ick and you still bought it? That is usually a very bad sign and basically a don't buy me from this tank/system sign in my eyes. Never can trust LFS they are usually only out to get your money. With that being said did you go fallow if not ick is still in your system and it would be illadvised to add anything to your tank. Im glad you work hard for your money and are saving it up for something nice. The thing is when you spend it and lets say you follow the path you are on rn this could lead you to an unpleasant time with your new tank. This is not to be meant to be harsh at all but what you think is right and what is actually right seem to be in two different galaxies. I know it is a hard pill to swallow when you have to retun a fish you paid a pretty penny for and get nothing back in return. but truly you are getting something back its just not green. You are getting to know that the fish has the potential to go to a home that is well suited for Doggo. You said that you want the best for Doggo. What we are saying is best for him is to get into a very large tank. Please take this advice to heart. It will be painful to see money go down the drain but look on the brightside the fish WILL most likely be happier and you can start over!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many stores have you asked? The reason I ask is because you got the puffer at Ocean State Aquatics, which is near the CT/ RI border and you plan on going to RAP in Jersey, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you live somewhere between the two locations. I happen to work with an LFS between those locations, and while you may not credit, you would at least get consignment., but I'm fairly confident you haven't tried there.

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U noticed the tank the fish was in had other fish with ick and you still bought it? That is usually a very bad sign and basically a don't buy me from this tank/system sign in my eyes. Never can trust LFS they are usually only out to get your money. With that being said did you go fallow if not ick is still in your system and it would be illadvised to add anything to your tank. Im glad you work hard for your money and are saving it up for something nice. The thing is when you spend it and lets say you follow the path you are on rn this could lead you to an unpleasant time with your new tank. This is not to be meant to be harsh at all but what you think is right and what is actually right seem to be in two different galaxies. I know it is a hard pill to swallow when you have to retun a fish you paid a pretty penny for and get nothing back in return. but truly you are getting something back its just not green. You are getting to know that the fish has the potential to go to a home that is well suited for Doggo. You said that you want the best for Doggo. What we are saying is best for him is to get into a very large tank. Please take this advice to heart. It will be painful to see money go down the drain but look on the brightside the fish WILL most likely be happier and you can start over!
Ok. So my LFS said they would buy doggo for $50 because I just called. Do you think my tank would be good if I sadly said goodbye to doggo? My tank seems cycled and I haven’t noticed any water problems and if the update didn’t get approved, I mixed another chemical instead of the 2 ammonia bottles from the API kit, don’t know which one still, but I retested and the ammonia was at 0 ppm.

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many stores have you asked? The reason I ask is because you got the puffer at Ocean State Aquatics, which is near the CT/ RI border and you plan on going to RAP in Jersey, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you live somewhere between the two locations. I happen to work with an LFS between those locations, and while you may not credit, you would at least get consignment., but I'm fairly confident you haven't tried there.
I live in RI. Not gonna say my exact town but only the state.

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the name? And sadly, only 2 fish stores are in a 20 mike radius from me.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So my LFS said they would buy doggo for $50 because I just called. Do you think my tank would be good if I sadly said goodbye to doggo? My tank seems cycled and I haven’t noticed any water problems and if the update didn’t get approved, I mixed another chemical instead of the 2 ammonia bottles from the API kit, don’t know which one still, but I retested and the ammonia was at 0 ppm.
To be honest your best bet would be to rehome all the fish, take a step back and do a ton of research first before trying again. You didn't know puffers were only wild caught just shows you that you REALLY need to learn to research every fish before you buy it and not just trust a LFS. You can't just keep falling through this hobby blind.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply. The green puffer will be fine in the 55g but if he does seem sick of the salt, I can always get him his own tank as they also grow only 3 inches big. Sorry for going off on you too, as I didn’t mean to be that rude to you. I also cannot return or give the fish to anybody because the puffer was $80, and I can’t find anybody in a 50 mile radius to take him. My other fish are fine as they don’t grow huge and I haven’t noticed aggressiveness towards any other fish, but yeah. It’s a bit hard when I don’t have a car. :(

You may have to give the fish away, but it’s not about the money, it’s a living creature. It’s life should matter. It was ripped from its home in the ocean and deserves better.

Doggo was born on November 21st 2017, as on the revcipt of the store, they record the fish’s birthdays that are over $50! They get them from the breeder. But I guess it is like that. Lol.

That’s not possible as they’re not captive bred.

Yes, rehome the poor fish. Focus on beginner level fish suited for your tank size. I consider myself an advanced or even expert level fish aquarist and I wouldn’t keep a dogface of any size in a 55 even if it was the sole fish and established for years (IE completely stable water parameters).

I commend you on that decision if that is the route you take.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is the best thing to do at the moment. When you are better set up and have some more experience revisit this.

Nice of your store to buy it back. I "raised" a yellow tang that got aggressive around 5" and I didn't get anything for it.

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a ways away, then. The shop is Greenwich Aquaria.

Ideally, you will go fallow for 72 days to eradicate ich in the system.
Well the ich already has. No fish have any white spots on their crystal clear fins, and what does fallow mean?

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so sometimes you won't see ick but it is present in your aquarium right now. Fallow means going fishless in your aquarium to erradicate the ick at all stages.

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes a FTS would be much appreciated and I will be super happy if you give that poor fish back :) I would reccomend going fallow for 72 days/wait until you get the new tank.
What does FTS mean? I am a newbie with aquarium short-terms.

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so sometimes you won't see ick but it is present in your aquarium right now. Fallow means going fishless in your aquarium to erradicate the ick at all stages.
Even after 3 weeks of the ich being gone? Does that mean ich is always in your tank even for new tanks or no?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You come to these forums asking for help and then argue with people who have given you great advice. You are immature and not willing to listen to anything that doesn’t align with what you want to hear. Mistakes are a great learning experience but instead of making all of these mistakes yourself you can listen to people who have already been there and have more experience than you. Please consider taking a long break from this hobby until you have grown up.
Some of you guys are starting to get a little too aggressive. I believe that doggo is one of the younger members on here. That being said, he probably trusted the person at the fish store to give him good advice. When that trust is broken it's sometimes hard to realize that they may have been lying to you.

The vast majority of people on here are stubborn. We all make mistakes, but I think this thread is different because it was clear that this was not going to turn out well.

It does seem like he is going to make the right decision so that's good.

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even after 3 weeks of the ich being gone? Does that mean ich is always in your tank even for new tanks or no?
Yes ich is still in the tank unless it ran fallow (no fish) for 76 days.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you plan on moving him? Be gentle so he doesn't inflate, inhaling air can be a big problem.

I recommend a large bag and a cooler. If it is a very short trip on a warm day, a bucket with a lid should do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 88 42.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 102 49.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.4%
Back