Help! Puffer has pink ball coming out of its butt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey man. How long have you been keeping marine tanks for? Im imagining not nearly as long as some of the people here trying to give you great advice. I had a 55gallon reef a couple months ago and I loved that tank to death. But I was not the smartest when I first started it. I had a dog face puffer,boxfish,foxfaces and a host of other fish that just did not belong in that tank. After losing some of these fish I really started to rethink what I was doing. Taking another life due to my stupidity/recklessness does not sit well with me. All I am saying is that the advice given is probably best to follow even though it contradicts what you believe. I STRONGLY recommend you start this tank over and be patient. Meaning take the puffer back to the store so the fish can be fitted to larger tank. From the threads you have created this fish has been problematic with it having ick(how has that gone), and now the anal issue as well as the extremely small tank. Don't ever bet that you will get a tank upgrade and start preparing for the upgrade with livestock. You can prepare with equipment but never livestock b/c you never know what life will throw at you. The fact that you are stubborn about a fish that does not belong in a 55 gal infuriates veteran fish keepers who can offer the help you need to be successful in this hobby. If you want to keep wasting money and potentially taking fish lives keep going down your path. But if you want to be successful and even one day have a reef I suggest take our advice and PLEASE start over. Another thing, puffers don't belong in a reef... @DSC reef is a great veteran of the hobby. He has helped me through a lot of issues as well as others problems. The fact that you lost his faith in you is a bad sign and that you need to change something so that others don't give up on you. I know this was a long response but I hope you take every word I said to heart and really think about what is your goal. Ill be following to see what your game plan is. Don't be afraid to DM me and I or others can help you create a working plan!

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, a fish's growth can be stunted by more than just swimming room. Exposure to disease and poor water quality can affect that. You have ich in the system and ammonia in the water.

Just because a fish is not behaving aggressively currently doesn't mean that it will not change. This is especially true if a closely related species is introduced, i.e. another puffer, as they view each other as competition for territory and resources.

What makes you think you will be able to cycle a new tank so quickly. Your cycle of your current tank clearly hasn't gone as you expected.

The minimum recommended tank size for a dogface that is the only puffer is 150g and 180g for a porcupine. 300g to keep them together is conservative.
I never states I wouldn’t cycle it. I didn’t properly cycle my 55g because I got it 1 months after I started. But I know how to actually cycle a new tank now. And I know they can get stunted, but everybody keeps pulling out numbers, 300 gallon, 150 gallon, 120 gallon? What is it! Nobody really knows the max size but it’s really 125 as said on multiple professional websites.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I overfeed him.... it’s hard when the dogface eats all the food before the other fish can eat, and he’ll keep stealing it.
Then that should tell you something about whether the tankmates are appropriate or not. Appropriate tankmates will make it possible for all to eat without 1 fish being dangerously overfed.
2 things, I won’t add any more fish and can’t cycled tanks have ammonia readings?
No, they can't. A properly cycled tank will have the ability to convert that ammonia almost instantaneously.

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man. How long have you been keeping marine tanks for? Im imagining not nearly as long as some of the people here trying to give you great advice. I had a 55gallon reef a couple months ago and I loved that tank to death. But I was not the smartest when I first started it. I had a dog face puffer,boxfish,foxfaces and a host of other fish that just did not belong in that tank. After losing some of these fish I really started to rethink what I was doing. Taking another life due to my stupidity/recklessness does not sit well with me. All I am saying is that the advice given is probably best to follow even though it contradicts what you believe. I STRONGLY recommend you start this tank over and be patient. Meaning take the puffer back to the store so the fish can be fitted to larger tank. From the threads you have created this fish has been problematic with it having ick(how has that gone), and now the anal issue as well as the extremely small tank. Don't ever bet that you will get a tank upgrade and start preparing for the upgrade with livestock. You can prepare with equipment but never livestock b/c you never know what life will throw at you. The fact that you are stubborn about a fish that does not belong in a 55 gal infuriates veteran fish keepers who can offer the help you need to be successful in this hobby. If you want to keep wasting money and potentially taking fish lives keep going down your path. But if you want to be successful and even one day have a reef I suggest take our advice and PLEASE start over. Another thing, puffers don't belong in a reef... @DSC reef is a great veteran of the hobby. He has helped me through a lot of issues as well as others problems. The fact that you lost his faith in you is a bad sign and that you need to change something so that others don't give up on you. I know this was a long response but I hope you take every word I said to heart and really think about what is your goal. Ill be following to see what your game plan is. Don't be afraid to DM me and I or others can help you create a working plan!
Ok! Thank you for this info. I can’t them back and the puffer that had the ich passed. He fought it for 3 weeks as it got worse every day. Maybe I should restart it but no stores can buy or keep my fish....

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never states I wouldn’t cycle it. I didn’t properly cycle my 55g because I got it 1 months after I started. But I know how to actually cycle a new tank now. And I know they can get stunted, but everybody keeps pulling out numbers, 300 gallon, 150 gallon, 120 gallon? What is it! Nobody really knows the max size but it’s really 125 as said on multiple professional websites.
LiveAquaria is where I used 150 for the dogface and 180 for the porcupine. Even if we go with 125g, your 55 or future 90g is still too small.

It's not that nobody really knows, it's that experienced reef keepers may not always agree. But you are not an experienced reefkeeper, and all the experienced hobbyists that have tried to help you have been argued with by a kid that has already killed one puffer and is not listening to what it takes to prevent further fish deaths.

Yesterday you said you weren't going to add fish, but this morning you had a porcupine puffer on hold. Now you say you won't get it. Thats good you won't get it, but you had no business planning on future fish additions in the first place.
Ok! Thank you for this info. I can’t them back and the puffer that had the ich passed. He fought it for 3 weeks as it got worse every day. Maybe I should restart it but no stores can buy or keep my fish....
They may not buy it, but they will take it back, especially if they sold you a dogface puffer for a 55g to begin with.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I overfeed him.... it’s hard when the dogface eats all the food before the other fish can eat, and he’ll keep stealing it.
Other fish? What other fish do you have?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LiveAquaria is where I used 150 for the dogface and 180 for the porcupine. Even if we go with 125g, your 55 or future 90g is still too small.

It's not that nobody really knows, it's that experienced reef keepers may not always agree. But you are not an experienced reefkeeper, and all the experienced hobbyists that have tried to help you have been argued with by a kid that has already killed one puffer and is not listening to what it takes to prevent further fish deaths.

Yesterday you said you weren't going to add fish, but this morning you had a porcupine puffer on hold. Now you say you won't get it. Thats good you won't get it, but you had no business planning on future fish additions in the first place.

They may not buy it, but they will take it back, especially if they sold you a dogface puffer for a 55g to begin with.
Agree. Not to mention, you have at least one other fish in the tank already. A Valentini puffer? Which is, by the way, a terrible incompatible tankmate in any sized tank. The dogface could easily kill it and may well do so.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Like @eatbreakfast said they will certainly take the fish back they may not give you anything in return but is the money you lose worth the fish life? That is the question you have to ask yourself. Also You said other fish...what other fish are we taking about? Ok for everyone who is in this thread I think we all want a major rundown of your 55gallon tank before we can help you further. It seems every time you reply their is a new surprise such as "other fish". Please list the following ASAP: Ammonia,Nitrate,Nitrite,Salinity, tank size,does it have a sump,Every fish and #, do you have a clean up crew,if so what does it consist of, do you have a skimmer,lighting,any other living organisms, has this tank had any diseases in it from the past 72 days? Some of these questions have been answered but I would like all this info in one post so that we can get a basic understanding of you entire system. DO NOT Leave any important info out and other info you would think would be beneficial please share it. lets work this thing out. And you said it yourself restarting is probably the best option. So is the only thing holding you back from the restart the fish? Lets get you back on track, Im willing to work with you but you gotta not shrug good advice off!

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. Not to mention, you have at least one other fish in the tank already. A Valentini puffer? Which is, by the way, a terrible incompatible tankmate in any sized tank. The dogface could easily kill it and may well do so.
What? No I have a green spotted puffer. File fish and a yellow bolt damsel. A pj cardinal too.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/ArticleNav.cfm?d=158&category=299

a-fish-stocking-main2.jpg
GENERAL INFORMATION
articles-bullet-cat.gif
A Basic Guide to Discovering Corals
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Algae Control: Herbivores Can Help
articles-bullet-cat.gif
An Introduction to Livebearing Fish
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Aquarium Oddballs for Freshwater Hobbyists
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Aquarium Shrimps Part 1 - An Introduction
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Aquarium Shrimps Part 2 - Shrimps in the Aquarium Trade
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Aquarium Shrimps Part 3 - Shrimp Care
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Buying Fish Online
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Corydoras Catfish: Freshwater Cleanup Crew
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Discus-Keeping
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Dive into the World of Freshwater Shrimp
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Freshwater Clams for Natural Filtration
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Freshwater Invertebrates
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Goldfish Keeping
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Ideas for Exceptional Aquarium Setups
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Invertebrate Tank Cleaner Packages
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Keeping the Jewels of the Reef: The Anthias of the Genus Pseudanthias - Part 1
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Keeping the Jewels of the Reef: The Anthias of the Genus Pseudanthias - Part 2
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Keeping the Jewels of the Reef: The Anthias of the Genus Pseudanthias - Part 3
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Keeping the Jewels of the Reef: The Anthias of the Genus Pseudanthias - Part 4
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Keeping the Jewels of the Reef: The Anthias of the Genus Pseudanthias - Part 5
articles-bullet-cat.gif
LiveAquaria
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Livebearers: Freshwater Species Profile
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Macroalgae
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Marine Invertebrates, Benefits of
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Pistol Shrimp & Gobies
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Popular Saltwater Fish for Beginners
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Proper Selection and Care of New Fish
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Reef Basslets & Grammas - Part 1
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Reef Basslets & Grammas - Part 2
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Saltwater Aquarium Species Profile: Beginner Fish
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Seahorses
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Spotlight on Captive-Bred ORA® Seahorses
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Sub-tropical Marine Aquariums
articles-bullet-cat.gif
Why It's Called Live Rock

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this info!!!!

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What? No I have a green spotted puffer. File fish and a yellow bolt damsel. A pj cardinal too.
Well, to start, green spotted puffers (Topaz puffer) are a brackish water fish. It's been documented that they die in saltwater long-term. It's also very aggressive, but likely to be a target for your dogface. But the most pressing issue is that it doesn't belong in a marine tank at all. In fact, they begin life in freshwater. Some keep them in fresh until they mature.

Your damsel may well become puffer food.

Your PJ cardinal is a huge target for either puffer, and almost guaranteed to be food. They are unable to move quick enough to get out of the way and are pretty bold/fearless.

I am sorry to say but your livestock selection is an absolute train wreck... :(

Last edited:

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we see a thread like this once every month or so. Good information in this hobby is a hard pill to swallow when the store (trying to sell you something) doesn't preach good husbandry. A lot of fish in this hobby take much larger tanks than you might expect, and most of those recommend sizes assume you have a sump filtration system as well, not just a canister filter.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honest question, why do you come here and ask for help if you are just going to flat out ignore it?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honest question, why do you come here and ask for help if you are just going to flat out ignore it?
Same reason my friends and family used to call me for veterinary advice, but ignore it if it wasn't what they wanted to hear. They are looking for someone to say what they are gonna do is ok, dont want to hear they they need to do something undesirable (ie. "hard",expensive, or just not what they desire)
I have only one or two that asks for vet advice anymore, they follow the advice generally. The rest figured out I wasn't the person to make them feel better about not addressing their pets problem.

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oi! So I have been following info given to me regarding my issues. I can’t do everything. I am not god, I don’t have time 24/7, and I won’t always listen to people if they say stuff that I think is not true and know it’s not too.

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, to start, green spotted puffers (Topaz puffer) are a brackish water fish. It's been documented that they die in saltwater long-term. It's also very aggressive, but likely to be a target for your dogface. But the most pressing issue is that it doesn't belong in a marine tank at all. In fact, they begin life in freshwater. Some keep them in fresh until they mature.

Your damsel may well become puffer food.

Your PJ cardinal is a huge target for either puffer, and almost guaranteed to be food. They are unable to move quick enough to get out of the way and are pretty bold/fearless.

I am sorry to say but your livestock selection is an absolute train wreck... :(
Ok, so here’s the thing. Fish have different personalities. Even pro fish keepers forget that. If a person says a dogface puffer will kill my green spotted, I had my old Doggo for 6months, they swam and ate together for everything! Fish have different personalities and not all fish will act aggressive towards other fish. Sure when the puffer is at max size, he will eat fish MAYBE small, but what if he doesn’t? What if he looks at them like tank mates. I know you are trying to help but I HATE when people say info that they find offline. The green puffer has been in that tank forever. I did a 10 hour acclimation for him to make sure he would be ok, he has been for 6 months! Even with the ich infection, he got NO ich! He seems healthy and happy, if he couldn’t be in marine tanks, he would have died. But I always get fish that hide in aggressive tanks because I know they are scared and putting them in a tank with Semi or peaceful fish might change their minds about being aggressive. Now you might say this is stupid what I’m saying, but fish have brains!! They are very intelligent creatures like us humans.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oi! So I have been following info given to me regarding my issues. I can’t do everything. I am not god...
The advice you have been given is is not so difficult to require god-like efforts. In fact most of the advice requires humility to follow through, not great effort.

... I won’t always listen to people if they say stuff that I think is not true and know it’s not too.
What was said that isn't true? Because there is alot of good advice that you have been given that you have ignored, so I would be curious to know what advice you 'know' isn't true when you have barely been in this hobby.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so here’s the thing. Fish have different personalities. Even pro fish keepers forget that. If a person says a dogface puffer will kill my green spotted, I had my old Doggo for 6months, they swam and ate together for everything! Fish have different personalities and not all fish will act aggressive towards other fish. Sure when the puffer is at max size, he will eat fish MAYBE small, but what if he doesn’t? What if he looks at them like tank mates. I know you are trying to help but I HATE when people say info that they find offline. The green puffer has been in that tank forever. I did a 10 hour acclimation for him to make sure he would be ok, he has been for 6 months! Even with the ich infection, he got NO ich! He seems healthy and happy, if he couldn’t be in marine tanks, he would have died. But I always get fish that hide in aggressive tanks because I know they are scared and putting them in a tank with Semi or peaceful fish might change their minds about being aggressive. Now you might say this is stupid what I’m saying, but fish have brains!! They are very intelligent creatures like us humans.
Dogface puffers can live decades, so 6months of experience is not much, and almost without fail their aggression increases as they grow and mature.

While fish, especially intelligent fish, such as tetradonts, have varying personalities, the fact of the matter is they are wild animals in a glass box that rely on instinct more than intelligence. That means when confronted with certain circumstances they don't think on how they should act, they just act.

Let's say even if the dogface doesn't get aggressive, the facts still remain that you have too many fish for the filtration capacity of your tank. You husbandry is inadequate. And the fact that you attribute them with human-like intelligence makes your unwillingness to do the right thing by them all that more egregious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 164 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back