Help! Puffer has pink ball coming out of its butt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have exactly 30 pounds for a 55g. The problem is it’s super pricy, $5 per pound!

Did you buy dry rock or rock from an established tank? Even "wet" rock from a tank may not have had time to cure properly or establish itself with some life. Adding more liverock or a bit of algae will introduce small beneficial critters your tank needs but that can wait until you get the cycle under control.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have exactly 30 pounds for a 55g. The problem is it’s super pricy, $5 per pound!
the stuff I'm referring to is 8-12 per pound it is long cured and established with bacteria and living things and that will grow your tank IF your salt water is where its supposed to be. ask your local reef store

edit: https://www.liverocknreef.com/ I bought some to start my 75g and it was as pictured

Last edited:
OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy dry rock or rock from an established tank? Even "wet" rock from a tank may not have had time to cure properly or establish itself with some life. Adding more liverock or a bit of algae will introduce small beneficial critters your tank needs but that can wait until you get the cycle under control.
Yes, I got live rock in a sump under a coral tank from a store called ocean state aquatics. All of there tanks are cycled and they are professional coral sellers. I got all my live rock from them except for 1 pound.

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But where do I put the chaeto algae? In my canister filter or on the live rock?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chaeto needs light, so with out a sump it will have to go into the dt.

This^^^

I only recommended the chaeto as a way to introduce microfauna. Don't worry about that until you get the ammonia down. It's easy to remove from your display since it won't attach itself to the rocks and take over.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for stepping in so much, but its like someone struggling to use a pair of channel lock pliers
throw it in your tank ( what would a flower do in the dark?), If you have a mesh bag put it there and place a rock on it.....Then go to BRS web site and watch 52 weeks of reefing...all 52 episodes then discuss your issues.

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for stepping in so much, but its like someone struggling to use a pair of channel lock pliers

throw it in your tank ( what would a flower do in the dark?), If you have a mesh bag put it there and place a rock on it.....Then go to BRS web site and watch 52 weeks of reefing...all 52 episodes then discuss your issues.
Wow! That stuff is very useful! I finished the first episode about pests! Very nice info too! Thanks!

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE!!!! I am happy to announce the puffer just had too much to eat last night!!!! I saw him defecate after 5 minutes of watching him! I think his prolapse is gone! Thank you all for helping me! But please keep the forum open as I am still needing assistance for diefferetn subjects being brought up! Thank you all again for the support and help!!!
-DoggoThePuffer :)

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This^^^

I only recommended the chaeto as a way to introduce microfauna. Don't worry about that until you get the ammonia down. It's easy to remove from your display since it won't attach itself to the rocks and take over.
Thanks to your advice too, I am getting an i
This^^^

Thanks to your advice, I’m getting an in tank refugium! I already bought live rock and chaeto algae and a lot of copods and bristle worms were on it!

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you got another puffer. In my opinion, it's not a water quality issue, but he ate too much. I've never used the 5 minute rule with mine because the amount they can eat in 5 minutes is absurd.

I feed until I see a small belly, and that's it, but usually less. You need to feed shelled food as well. Their teeth need it. Sometimes I go to the grocery store and buy 3 mussels and toss them in. Maybe pop open the shell but leave the meat in it. He will make short work of it. I've read that brine shrimp helps digestion, not sure, but I've thrown in a small frozen chunk before.

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you got another puffer. In my opinion, it's not a water quality issue, but he ate too much. I've never used the 5 minute rule with mine because the amount they can eat in 5 minutes is absurd.

I feed until I see a small belly, and that's it, but usually less. You need to feed shelled food as well. Their teeth need it. Sometimes I go to the grocery store and buy 3 mussels and toss them in. Maybe pop open the shell but leave the meat in it. He will make short work of it. I've read that brine shrimp helps digestion, not sure, but I've thrown in a small frozen chunk before.
Nice to see you man! And that’s good to know! I honestly think I overfed him. But there was a porcupine puffer at my LPS. His belly is indented and I paid for him already but I’m gonna pick him up when my water is finished with it’s unfinished cycling. But his belly didn’t have a lump and looked a bit indented. The guy said he couldn’t feed him since he ran out of food which I think is BS. Will he be ok for the next 24 hours?
The pic isn’t the puffer, it’s an image online that looks exactly what his stomach looks like.

E089B4BA-CF09-4A7A-AD9F-775CD2F2B4D7.jpeg

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But there was a porcupine puffer at my LPS. His belly is indented and I paid for him already but I’m gonna pick him up when my water is finished with it’s unfinished cycling.

Leave that dude at the LFS. If you want what’s best for your livestock take a huge step back and don’t add anything living to that tank in the near future.

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is unlikely to finish cycling in 24 hours!
Take care of what you have in the tank already.
Oh no, I’m not adding him in 24 hours!!!
I will pick him up in 2 weeks. That’s what he max the guy said I can wait.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont get it, you even recommended to someone to check liveaquaria for info on fish. Why would you ignore the minimum tank size recommendation for the puffers?

Everyone here wants you to be successful and have a healthy tank, with healthy animals.

Should you keep an elephant in your backyard because it's a baby and it will be a few years before it outgrows it? No, it needs the proper habitat to thrive. The animals in our tank deserve the same consideration.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see you man! And that’s good to know! I honestly think I overfed him. But there was a porcupine puffer at my LPS. His belly is indented and I paid for him already but I’m gonna pick him up when my water is finished with it’s unfinished cycling. But his belly didn’t have a lump and looked a bit indented. The guy said he couldn’t feed him since he ran out of food which I think is crap. Will he be ok for the next 24 hours?
The pic isn’t the puffer, it’s an image online that looks exactly what his stomach looks like.

E089B4BA-CF09-4A7A-AD9F-775CD2F2B4D7.jpeg
This is discouraging to read. After all the help members and staff have offered your still just blatantly ignoring solid advice. Even if your water and tank was truly cycled and stable, these 2 puffers can't be in a tank that small. Even one is pushing it. You read one post of someone encouraging you about your puffer and your going to ignore the people trying to help you.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DoggoThePuffer

You have many expert members here on your thread trying to offer advice and encouragement. I can tell you this much. R2R is a place that has allowed me to keep some of the most difficult fish in the hobby. I've only been at it for a year, and if it weren't for R2R, and listening to/absorbing the great info provided I would never be where I am today. Just some food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back