HELP!! Purple tang looks terrible

ADeepBlueSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
886133C2-82A2-44DC-B335-73CBF02F93EB.jpeg
New Purple tang. When i introduced to my DT she was harassed by my yellow and White Tail. Came down with A ton of white spots. Suspected Ich. Moved back to QT and treated with copper. Has been two weeks and she now looks like worse. She still eats great and swims upright. Using copper power at 1.5ppm in QT.

DT tank 150gal. Total of 5 fish before the Purple.

Parameters all good.

What is this? HLLE? I’m lost. Is she a lost cause? Any help would be so appreciated!!!

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you do a little experiment.turn the lights off on that qt and come back few hours later with a flash light and check the fish.
If it looks clean, keep flash light at it and watch the spots reappear.
Let me know if you can

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
886133C2-82A2-44DC-B335-73CBF02F93EB.jpeg
New Purple tang. When i introduced to my DT she was harassed by my yellow and White Tail. Came down with A ton of white spots. Suspected Ich. Moved back to QT and treated with copper. Has been two weeks and she now looks like worse. She still eats great and swims upright. Using copper power at 1.5ppm in QT.

DT tank 150gal. Total of 5 fish before the Purple.

Parameters all good.

What is this? HLLE? I’m lost. Is she a lost cause? Any help would be so appreciated!!!
It does look like either Ich or Velvet that has turned into a bacterial infection. :(

Not my strong suit. @HotRocks or @Big G may be able to help better.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not unusual for tangs to discolor when stressed. Did the spots decrease when you moved it into the QT? Tangs are a bit funny how they react to copper. Sometimes they get a rash from the copper. But it could also be a bacterial infection of some sort. Usually treating with Kanaplex + metro clears up these types of spots.

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for everything said above.Now to make you feel a little better.Purple tangs are VERY hardy and it takes a lot to kill them.Over the years I have had tangs survive what seems like every infection and infestation know to the aquarist.One of the purples I have now survived one of the worst bouts of velvet I've experienced.5 years later he looks like this.Not the best pic however.
Yep it's time to break out the razor blade and clean that glass.

20181116_202929.jpg

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to velvet with a secondary bacterial infection.

The link above has the emergency protocol.

Recommend combining kanaplex + Furan-2 + copper/CP for treatment.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safe to say the initial parasite and treatment has now gone into a bad infection. Good thing is it’s still eating, feed it as much as it will eat, as long as it keeps eating it has a chance although it does look bad.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to velvet with a secondary bacterial infection.

The link above has the emergency protocol.

Recommend combining kanaplex + Furan-2 + copper/CP for treatment.
Yes I forgot to mention the two antibiotics.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor Guy. Having had my share of fish troubles in 30 years my steps would be as follows:

1) Skip Freshwater dip. I worry he is too weak but I love freshwater dips and have never lost a fish. Use RODI water and SAME EXACT TEMP WELL AERATED. This is key!
2) Acriflavine bath. Critical. Very Critical. No Bath is usually a death sentence. It's that important.

3) CP (chloroquine Phosphate) or Copper

Okay, if using CP I would ONLY use CP. No other antibiotics. Take care of the velvet 1st. CP is actually pretty good at keeping infections at bay. I would do CP for 12 days and move him into a NEW CLEAN STERILE ENVIRONMENT after 12 days. Nothing can be used from original tank. Nothing. Then start Trifecta treatment (See Below).

Copper is great but not if you have a secondary infection. You can use copper with Meds but it gets dangerous. I would treat with copper for a few days at 1.75 and try to hold it until 14 days. Then I would move into a NEW CLEAN STERILE EVIRONMENT. USE NOTHING FROM OLD TANK. In the new tank I would do Trifecta treatment. FURAN-2, Kanaplex, and Metroplex.

If you sense he might not survive then use Furan-2 with copper.

Agree with all above. The good news...Purple tangs are really strong fish.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh...before we all forget.

Every fish in the tank now has velvet. You need to capture them all and treat with CP or copper. The tank needs to run without fish for 76 days. Sorry.

Back