Help raising factory stand for more equipment room

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a factory marineland 210g stand that I would like to raise so I can actually have room for equipment under the stand.

Has anyone done this before and have pictures or tips on how to do so?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a factory marineland 210g stand that I would like to raise so I can actually have room for equipment under the stand.

Has anyone done this before and have pictures or tips on how to do so?
I don't know that I would modify the stand to make it taller, to much structural risk. At that point you'd probably be better off just building a new stand to your specifications :) @jsker is a wiz at wood working, perhaps he has some good advice ;)

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to say it can't be done, but I will say that it would not be a simple exercise. You would likely want/need to redo the doors as part of the process. At that point, at least in my opinion, you would be better off simply building a new stand to meet your needs. You could always design it to look like the factory stand and continue to use the existing canopy assuming that still works for you.

Just my opinion and I'm sure others will differ.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to say it can't be done, but I will say that it would not be a simple exercise. You would likely want/need to redo the doors as part of the process. At that point, at least in my opinion, you would be better off simply building a new stand to meet your needs. You could always design it to look like the factory stand and continue to use the existing canopy assuming that still works for you.

Just my opinion and I'm sure others will differ.

Agree:)

Building a new stand if you have the tools is pretty simple and more cost effective, structurally more sound and better quality casework.

One can alway go to the home improvement store and purchase a couple of sheet of cabinet grade plywood, make the opening so that one can purchase a prefab doors. Molding to cover up all the imperfections and paint.
Power tools required : skill saw, rip fence, jig saw, drill & paddle bits, palm sander, miter saw.

OP
OP
newbreefer316

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to avoid rebuilding the stand, but that sounds like it will end up being the best route. That or just go ahead and plumb back through the wall as originally planned.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always put it on a riser if you don't want to rebuild. Not sure how you'd make it look good though. I have a metal stand and it sits on a 2x4 stand to raise it up an additional 8" or so, but it's just cheaply skinned to look like one stand.

Maybe you could skin the riser all black or match your stand colour. You may be able to actually find some people who have done this with marineland stands. The DD stands are all really short so that they fit through a doorway but you can't fit equipment under them either. I've seen one before at a lfs but don't recall what it looks like.

Last edited:

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 19 11.9%
  • No

Votes: 122 76.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 18 11.3%
Back