HELP RODI WATER?

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I got a new rodi unit and I thought I flushed it long enough so the dust from the carbon filter would get out. I make my rodi water, looked at it to see if it was good, and I didn’t see anything. After adding in my rodi water from the tank, there is stuff floating around? Is that carbon dust? If it is, will my fish die? Please help!!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just add some filter floss to catch whatever it is.

Remember the membrane should be flushed for 1 hour on first use, as they normally come with a preservative on them.

If you didn’t do the 1 hour flush, I would add a bag of carbon to your tank just to be safe.

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just add some filter floss to catch whatever it is.

Remember the membrane should be flushed for 1 hour on first use, as they normally come with a preservative on them.

If you didn’t do the 1 hour flush, I would add a bag of carbon to your tank just to be safe.
It was about 35 minutes

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine, I believe its not dangerous just unpleasant to taste so the fish shouldn’t come to harm, but worth adding the carbon to be sure.
I have a flush kit that came already installed on my rodi, but do I turn on my flush valve when my automatic shut off valve is on or off? When I turn on my flush valve nothing comes out of the waste tube

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ugly and no harm. If floating or suspended, you can net it and flush it

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flush kit that came already installed on my rodi, but do I turn on my flush valve when my automatic shut off valve is on or off? When I turn on my flush valve nothing comes out of the waste tube

you have it running as normal but with the flush open, so all the water comes out your waste tube, it bypasses your resin, that’s all it’s doing, so all the crap you are flushing out doesn’t use up your resin.

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have it running as normal but with the flush open, so all the water comes out your waste tube, it bypasses your resin, that’s all it’s doing, so all the crap you are flushing out doesn’t use up your resin.
Oh, okay thank you! I have one more question for you. I have a 90 gallon I’m about to set up, I have my skimmer, return pump, circulation pump, all my stuff so I’m all set. The last thing that my mom is worried about is the waste water from my rodi unit. She is worried about the water bill because of how much waste water it produces, so any idea on how much it will cost lol? That’s a very weird question, I know, but I will have to pay for it if it’s too high. I’m worried about not having any money left to pay my mom and dad back, so any idea on initial filling cost with the rodi unit?

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Since I’m 16 :) )

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, okay thank you! I have one more question for you. I have a 90 gallon I’m about to set up, I have my skimmer, return pump, circulation pump, all my stuff so I’m all set. The last thing that my mom is worried about is the waste water from my rodi unit. She is worried about the water bill because of how much waste water it produces, so any idea on how much it will cost lol? That’s a very weird question, I know, but I will have to pay for it if it’s too high. I’m worried about not having any money left to pay my mom and dad back, so any idea on initial filling cost with the rodi unit?

not as much as you think, I’m in the UK but I guess the USA works near enough the same, your water bill is mainly made up of set charges, so if you use zero water you still pay a water bill for just being able to have water and for them taking waste water away from your home, such as rain water from your roof, yes you pay for that lol

so the money you actually pay for the water is only a small part of the bill, I pay around £3 for 1000 litres of water, so if I were to make 250 litres of water maybe that would take nearly 1000 litres to make as worse case scenario you waste 3 litres for every one you make, so for the 250 litres it would cost me £3.

if your mom is still concerned see if you can store the waste water for watering flowers or something.

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not as much as you think, I’m in the UK but I guess the USA works near enough the same, your water bill is mainly made up of set charges, so if you use zero water you still pay a water bill for just being able to have water and for them taking waste water away from your home, such as rain water from your roof, yes you pay for that lol

so the money you actually pay for the water is only a small part of the bill, I pay around £3 for 1000 litres of water, so if I were to make 250 litres of water maybe that would take nearly 1000 litres to make as worse case scenario you waste 3 litres for every one you make, so for the 250 litres it would cost me £3.

if your mom is still concerned see if you can store the waste water for watering flowers or something.
Oh, that’s not as bad as I thought either! Thank you so much!

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your rejection rate is 4 gallons for every gallon of good water then you would use 5 x 90 = 450 gallons of water. 90 good gallons and 360 (4x90) rejected gallons. A typical dishwasher uses 6 gallons per cycle, a typical shower 2 gallons/min so 5 minute shower = 10 gallons. 1 shower a day = 300 gallons/month. Tell your mom it wont be that bad or tell her you’ll skip some showers this month!

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your rejection rate is 4 gallons for every gallon of good water then you would use 5 x 90 = 450 gallons of water. 90 good gallons and 360 (4x90) rejected gallons. A typical dishwasher uses 6 gallons per cycle, a typical shower 2 gallons/min so 5 minute shower = 10 gallons. 1 shower a day = 300 gallons/month. Tell your mom it wont be that bad or tell her you’ll skip some showers this month!
Haha! I was thinking that!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back