HELP SAVE CORAL CITY REEF!!!

U

User1

View Badges
“Disney cruise lines and MSC cruise lines have submitted an application to the Army Corps of Engineers to remove and in essence likely kill 1000 feet of prime urban coral reef real estate for Berth 10. This is the urban coral reef depicted on the Coral City Camera. (CCC)
This is contingent upon Disney and MSC striking a deal to share MSC's proposed terminal. MSC has already delayed the finalization of their lease/financing agreement with the Port from the end of October til February 2021.
It seems imprudent for them to presume a need for a 3rd berth in the expansion project given the uncertainties of the future of the cruise industry in the Covid era.
Despite a record hot summer here in Miami, the corals native to this site have shown incredible resilience to bleaching, and even appear to be more resistant to the Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease (SCTLD). The site is also one of the few places where the federally-protected Orbicella sp. stony corals are recruiting naturally at a time when their offshore populations are in severe decline. Through the CCC we have documented more than 125 species of fish, a menagerie of reef invertebrates, as well as a multitude of manatees that are seen on a near-daily basis.
Do not let Disney Cruises and MSC kill one of the last thriving coral reefs in Miami.”

As reef aquarists I think it’s our duty to help protect our reefs. Please sign the petition and share it!!!

http://*******/czFnThDTXb

Devils advocate here but has anyone provided an alternative? Once Covid is under control, and it will be, the travel industry is going to be probably one of the, if not, biggest industries to rebound. People have been cooped up and sheltering in place for a long while so I'd expect cruise lines to be one of the busiest around.

Not that it is about money but cruise lines and similar industry are probably one of the larger revenue sources for Miami. Seems like instead of saying no people should look at it and provide alternatives and if none be found then look at what it would mean to remove, move, or just not do it.

I don't know - maybe it has been done but then again seems like no one wants to have these conversations and think evil is at play.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Signed!

Devils advocate here but has anyone provided an alternative? Once Covid is under control, and it will be, the travel industry is going to be probably one of the, if not, biggest industries to rebound. People have been cooped up and sheltering in place for a long while so I'd expect cruise lines to be one of the busiest around.

Not that it is about money but cruise lines and similar industry are probably one of the larger revenue sources for Miami. Seems like instead of saying no people should look at it and provide alternatives and if none be found then look at what it would mean to remove, move, or just not do it.

I don't know - maybe it has been done but then again seems like no one wants to have these conversations and think evil is at play.

Disney has many other cruise lines and travel desistations. Why do they NEED another?

U

User1

View Badges
Signed!

Disney has many other cruise lines and travel desistations. Why do they NEED another?

Because Miami isn't the destination. It is a port. A departure. Also it isn't about Disney although they are one of the two in question. Agree or not Miami is a hub for that line of business due to location. My guess is before Covid they had looked at their schedules, ships, bookings past, present, and future and came to the conclusion they needed another.

Again, it is the conversation that should take place as to what it means by removing, relocating, or anything else related to the project. Doesn't matter if it is this 1,000 feet of reef or the Hanauma Bay State Park reopening ever again after bouncing back from no visitors. Devils advocate is about taking the emotion out of it and looking at the bigger picture of what possibilities promote to the top when said discussions take place.

Maybe they have enough ports. Maybe they move else where. Maybe they look at trying to relocate. Not my line of work but as hobbyists who take in a lot of corals and fish via trade from various environments around the world with little to no care this save the reef seems a bit, well, boggling.

tl; dr - the theme here is not should we or not but rather taking a look at the request and see what options are available to solve the problem for all invested parties. Common ground. Like a marriage or partnership.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Shame on them !!
SIGNED

U

User1

View Badges
On a totally unrelated note anyone else notice the surge? Direction change? Particulates in the water?

Mother nature is amazing. Didn't know this cam existed so thanks! Enjoying every minute of it.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a totally unrelated note anyone else notice the surge? Direction change? Particulates in the water?

Mother nature is amazing. Didn't know this cam existed so thanks! Enjoying every minute of it.
I'm stunned by the sheer volume of flow and how quickly it changes direction. Anyone run tanks with flow like that?

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah, the surge and everything is natural but sometimes passing ships affect the intensity. Particulates are natural too... it is amazing ;) by far the most beautiful thing I’ve seen.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm stunned by the sheer volume of flow and how quickly it changes direction. Anyone run tanks with flow like that?
I’ve got my powerhead and return pointed at each other both on pulse. it’s not the TOTAL effect but it’s as close as I can get :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back