HELP SAVE CORAL CITY REEF!!!

U

User1

View Badges

At first I wasn't sure why you replied to my post with that but I see why now. I don't disagree with what you are doing. I have a different view and approach is all. It is ok I would hope. Hopefully the port authority, shipping lines, and environmentalist can reach a common ground that works for all.

I do not want to derail your thread so sorry if it has turned. As noted above I am enjoying the web cam. Wish there was a surface one so we can get an idea of the weather above as it relates to activity below.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I wasn't sure why you replied to my post with that but I see why now. I don't disagree with what you are doing. I have a different view and approach is all. It is ok I would hope. Hopefully the port authority, shipping lines, and environmentalist can reach a common ground that works for all.

I do not want to derail your thread so sorry if it has turned. As noted above I am enjoying the web cam. Wish there was a surface one so we can get an idea of the weather above as it relates to activity below.
No problem, we have different views and that’s okay but I’m glad we can be respectful about it. :cool: I’m glad you enjoy the cam as much as I do! And that’s an AMAZING idea!!! That’d be so cool to see especially in thunderstorms and such. Just wait for thunderstorms when you see lightening flashing across the reef and you catch glimpses of fish darting around and coral swaying!!!

FishDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Signed! Native to Florida, hope to help these types of issues as much as possible. As you drive the coast you can see where the runoff from the canals empty out. Areas like Port Canaveral, Daytona, and Jacksonville to name a few. Some of this brackish runoff is natural, most of it is not carrying metals, pesticides, and other toxins. You can see the swirls of dark metals within the sands, and dirty brown water in long stretches of beaches. Florida as native swamp land is a natural filter, now drained only a section of the Everglades remain controlled by pump houses. If you ever go down to the Florida keys check out the seaturtle rescue in Marathon, schedule a tour. Sad to see how many turtles are found with large tumors growing on them. I feel we're facing the same fate as our food sources, whether plant of animal, come from the lands and sea where contaminants are found.

It sounds it's too late for the reef unfortunately, as it was agreed the reef is to be "relocated" 300 feet away. There's no way to really win these battles, article below is a good read.

In late October, Foord agreed to a compromise. The Port is now giving him until January 15 to move to a new site 300 feet away. But Foord is still fighting to push that deadline back further, since the new agreement with MSC gives the company until May 2021 to start construction.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Signed! Native to Florida, hope to help these types of issues as much as possible. As you drive the coast you can see where the runoff from the canals empty out. Areas like Port Canaveral, Daytona, and Jacksonville to name a few. Some of this brackish runoff is natural, most of it is not carrying metals, pesticides, and other toxins. You can see the swirls of dark metals within the sands, and dirty brown water in long stretches of beaches. Florida as native swamp land is a natural filter, now drained only a section of the Everglades remain controlled by pump houses. If you ever go down to the Florida keys check out the seaturtle rescue in Marathon, schedule a tour. Sad to see how many turtles are found with large tumors growing on them. I feel we're facing the same fate as our food sources, whether plant of animal, come from the lands and sea where contaminants are found.

It sounds it's too late for the reef unfortunately, as it was agreed the reef is to be "relocated" 300 feet away. There's no way to really win these battles, article below is a good read.

In late October, Foord agreed to a compromise. The Port is now giving him until January 15 to move to a new site 300 feet away. But Foord is still fighting to push that deadline back further, since the new agreement with MSC gives the company until May 2021 to start construction.

I haven’t seen that article, I didn’t know it was released. It’s a shame these healthy corals must be moved to a deeper darker home. I hope they do well.

FishDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a bigger picture not seen. There is personal interest because this cam was setup, more natural destruction will occur from this project, and many others, where there is no camera. It's still worth getting signatures on the petition to show FL that people care about reefs. Maybe the supporters will make more artificial reefs and put more cameras. So sign away!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back