OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because Miami isn't the destination. It is a port. A departure. Also it isn't about Disney although they are one of the two in question. Agree or not Miami is a hub for that line of business due to location. My guess is before Covid they had looked at their schedules, ships, bookings past, present, and future and came to the conclusion they needed another.

Again, it is the conversation that should take place as to what it means by removing, relocating, or anything else related to the project. Doesn't matter if it is this 1,000 feet of reef or the Hanauma Bay State Park reopening ever again after bouncing back from no visitors. Devils advocate is about taking the emotion out of it and looking at the bigger picture of what possibilities promote to the top when said discussions take place.

Maybe they have enough ports. Maybe they move else where. Maybe they look at trying to relocate. Not my line of work but as hobbyists who take in a lot of corals and fish via trade from various environments around the world with little to no care this save the reef seems a bit, well, boggling.

tl; dr - the theme here is not should we or not but rather taking a look at the request and see what options are available to solve the problem for all invested parties. Common ground. Like a marriage or partnership.
It doesn’t matter if Miami is a port or not the fact is there is coral thriving there and we should respect that.
The bigger picture should never be human oriented but rather Nature oriented.

U

User1

View Badges
It doesn’t matter if Miami is a port or not the fact is there is coral thriving there and we should respect that.
The bigger picture should never be human oriented but rather Nature oriented.

Do you own a saltwater reef tank? Judging by your post count I would guess yes. Your argument goes out the window if you own coral and fish because most have been removed from thriving reefs at one time or another. And I won't even go into the life and death by careless hobbyists or logistics of moving animals.

The bigger picture is the discussion, comfortable or not, if moving or digging up 1,000 feet of reef makes sense. Take the emotion out of it.

U

User1

View Badges
Yeah, the surge and everything is natural but sometimes passing ships affect the intensity. Particulates are natural too... it is amazing ;) by far the most beautiful thing I’ve seen.

You should go drift diving in Cozumel...or you can come to California and see some of the best diving in the world at Point Lobos or Monastery Beach (aptly named by the way).

See - we may not agree on all things but there is always common ground to be found in any dialog. It is a pet peeve of mine (nothing related to you) when one discusses some topics. No one can never just talk without results to hurt feels or name calling. Again, nothing here in this thread.

I found the thread useful because I never saw the web cam. Spent an hour easy today during a few calls I didn't have to pay attention on, and saw the dialog of teachers and students using it as a tool. So that alone is important because I could see my nephew using it. That is what is important to me (being a wee bit selfish :) ).

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a difference between completely destroying a reef in a part of the world where reefs are all but extinct, and sustainably harvesting fish for the aquarium trade from healthy reefs. No one reef is getting decimated, and no one is harvesting (at least, they shouldn't be) from unhealthy reefs. So it doesn't affect the reef significantly.

Also, aquarium harvesting targets fish, not the vital reef rock itself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should go drift diving in Cozumel...or you can come to California and see some of the best diving in the world at Point Lobos or Monastery Beach (aptly named by the way).

See - we may not agree on all things but there is always common ground to be found in any dialog. It is a pet peeve of mine (nothing related to you) when one discusses some topics. No one can never just talk without results to hurt feels or name calling. Again, nothing here in this thread.

I found the thread useful because I never saw the web cam. Spent an hour easy today during a few calls I didn't have to pay attention on, and saw the dialog of teachers and students using it as a tool. So that alone is important because I could see my nephew using it. That is what is important to me (being a wee bit selfish :) ).
Idk I’d go to Cozumel I love Floridian/Caribbean reefs. Living in Florida I saw a lot of them. I love all reefs but Florida/Caribbean is my home :)

reefbeard

Bearded Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Disney cruise lines and MSC cruise lines have submitted an application to the Army Corps of Engineers to remove and in essence likely kill 1000 feet of prime urban coral reef real estate for Berth 10. This is the urban coral reef depicted on the Coral City Camera. (CCC)
This is contingent upon Disney and MSC striking a deal to share MSC's proposed terminal. MSC has already delayed the finalization of their lease/financing agreement with the Port from the end of October til February 2021.
It seems imprudent for them to presume a need for a 3rd berth in the expansion project given the uncertainties of the future of the cruise industry in the Covid era.
Despite a record hot summer here in Miami, the corals native to this site have shown incredible resilience to bleaching, and even appear to be more resistant to the Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease (SCTLD). The site is also one of the few places where the federally-protected Orbicella sp. stony corals are recruiting naturally at a time when their offshore populations are in severe decline. Through the CCC we have documented more than 125 species of fish, a menagerie of reef invertebrates, as well as a multitude of manatees that are seen on a near-daily basis.
Do not let Disney Cruises and MSC kill one of the last thriving coral reefs in Miami.”

As reef aquarists I think it’s our duty to help protect our reefs. Please sign the petition and share it!!!

http://*******/czFnThDTXb
Signed, donated, and shared!

dos equis thumbs up GIF by Dos Equis Gifs to the World

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an avid cruiser of 1-2 cruises a year. And my next 2 already booked for 2021 and 2022. My interests are two sided.

However, I won’t support/sign this.

we need more action and involvement when it comes to hobbyists on R2R, that think it’s ok to go and take coral from a reef, since it’s their vacation, to stick in their tank and watch die.

While people on R2R support and encourage that behavior? Cmon man...

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because Miami isn't the destination. It is a port. A departure. Also it isn't about Disney although they are one of the two in question. Agree or not Miami is a hub for that line of business due to location. My guess is before Covid they had looked at their schedules, ships, bookings past, present, and future and came to the conclusion they needed another.

Again, it is the conversation that should take place as to what it means by removing, relocating, or anything else related to the project. Doesn't matter if it is this 1,000 feet of reef or the Hanauma Bay State Park reopening ever again after bouncing back from no visitors. Devils advocate is about taking the emotion out of it and looking at the bigger picture of what possibilities promote to the top when said discussions take place.

Maybe they have enough ports. Maybe they move else where. Maybe they look at trying to relocate. Not my line of work but as hobbyists who take in a lot of corals and fish via trade from various environments around the world with little to no care this save the reef seems a bit, well, boggling.

tl; dr - the theme here is not should we or not but rather taking a look at the request and see what options are available to solve the problem for all invested parties. Common ground. Like a marriage or partnership.

Removing parts of a reef for ships is not the same as this hobby just as the hobby is not the same as the fishing industry. One fishing industry is not the same as the next. They all have different impacts.

I am fairly certain most hobbyists want their fish and corals to be collected sustainably so the hobby is here in the future and many like to grow/trade frags. Ofc there are idiots and selfish people everywhere in life but to say there is little to no care from hobbyists in general does not seem accurate to me.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an avid cruiser of 1-2 cruises a year. And my next 2 already booked for 2021 and 2022. My interests are two sided.

However, I won’t support/sign this.

we need more action and involvement when it comes to hobbyists on R2R, that think it’s ok to go and take coral from a reef, since it’s their vacation, to stick in their tank and watch die.

While people on R2R support and encourage that behavior? Cmon man...

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cos I can in America, that’s why! And people are ALLOWED to have different viewpoints.
I didn’t attack you, I just sent a video. You haven’t even had enough time to watch it, he talks about different industries and how they impact the ocean and reefing isn’t so bad. :) especially not as bad as seafood.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t attack you, I just sent a video. You haven’t even had enough time to watch it, he talks about different industries and how they impact the ocean and reefing isn’t so bad. :) especially not as bad as seafood.
Don’t give a doodoo abt a video. Again this is AMERICA, if you dont support opposing viewpoints than leave,

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back