Help selecting a reef light 60 gal tank

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was given a 60 gallon cube aquarium (24 × 24 × 24 in) and I am looking to put a reef in it at some point in the future. I have only messed with soft corals but would love to venture into other coral such as sps. I have no idea what I would use for lighting and I would like to keep under $200 for all lighting (even if I need 2 lights or more) what can everyone reccomend with links to websites. Thank you all!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any black box fixture will work. They start around $100. Just try to stick with brands that have US based support. Unfortunately none of them have sponsor forums here at R2R so they are easy to talk to and aren't afraid to be transparent with answers to questions.

Reef Breeders is a sponsor here and they make very good leds that are inexpensive. But they have a lot of advanced options which does drive up the price. Their 16" fixture is great for your tank, but it's $375.

Look for Mars Aqua, SB Reefs, Viparspectra, Ocean Revive. They've all been around for years now. And there are a lot of copy cats that don't provide any service.

Last edited:

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that budget, you're best bet is going to be one of the Black Box LEDs - multiple companies make them. In my experience with them, the Black Box LEDs are more than capable of growing coral.

However, I would recommend (from personal experience) a Hydra 26HD, you will get better coloration and fast growth. I started with the MarsAqua LEDS and switched to Hydras, wish I had just started there. But they are $350 and that doesn't include a mount.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back