Help Setting Up First Saltwater Tank

Snowythesnowflakeeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am currently working on setting up my first Saltwater aqarium, and I have some questions, I do have some experience as I currently have a 20 Gallon long, 75 Gallon, and 135 Gallon Aqarium and they are all Freshwater. First question is can I use a fluval hang on the back filter or do I need a special type of filter? Next question is can I use the same type of heater that I have on my other tanks, or do I need a certain type? My next question is how do I turn my aqarium to salt after I fill up my tank with treated, and safe tap water. One more question about the basics is how do I add coral and what substrate does Coral require. My final question is, if my tank is a 140 gallon, 60x18x30 can I keep a snowflake eel and a yellow tang, which are the main fish that got me interested in salt water. Thank you for all the help.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I googled it and I'm getting a better understandment of a sump now. So I have to use the RODI system and then I have to use a power head to add salt, set up the sump and let it cycle?
I have a 32g brute can (any food grade plastic container will work) that I let my RODI fill with desired amount of water. Add a heater and powerhead, then add the salt. Give it half an hour or so and measure salinity. Adjust with more salt or water as needed to get 35ppt. Making your own water for changes and top offs is the way to go. Keep in mind with saltwater, as your water evaporates, you salinity rises. You will need to add fresh RODI non salted water on a daily basis at minimum.

Upvote 0

turtlewax2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the beginning of my sump. A lot more to go. Hides all of your equipment and keeps it out of the display

Attachments

• A777E2C0-2720-43FD-A6A7-4F51B2DFB0F5.jpeg
    A777E2C0-2720-43FD-A6A7-4F51B2DFB0F5.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Snowythesnowflakeeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I put the power head on the tank and it mixes up the salt, and I add RODI water every day to keep it nice, and I need my salinity to be 35ppt? Also, I heard when setting up your first saltwater tank, you should go big, is a 140 gallon big enough to get a nice tank with coral or do I need to start bigger?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Snowythesnowflakeeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what size tank is your sump on turtle? What size sump should I use on a 140 gallon. Thanks everyone for the help, I am pretty good with freshwater but had very little of an idea of how saltwater worked until know.

Upvote 0

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump on my aquarium

Attachments

• 70B3C3C4-47F4-48AB-BC7E-E6D39534FAC6.jpeg
    70B3C3C4-47F4-48AB-BC7E-E6D39534FAC6.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 38
Upvote 0

turtlewax2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what size tank is your sump on turtle? What size sump should I use on a 140 gallon. Thanks everyone for the help, I am pretty good with freshwater but had very little of an idea of how saltwater worked until know
My display is 40 gallons. My sump is the same size as my tank only because I purchased the sump used. But it works for me to get more water volume.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Thanks for showing me Turtle, so holes drilled into the bottom of the tank connect pipes to the sump which filters clean water back out right?
You should buy a tank that already has an overflow and the holes done for you. The sump works like this.... water from DT (display tank) flows out of an overflow and down the the sump. The first thing that happens is the water goes through filter socks. They're a fabric that cleans the water somewhat. From there it flows over and under barriers trapping bubbles along the way. In the sump you can have what ever mechanical things you want or different media like carbon or GFO. Depending on the tanks needs. You also have a place to grow chaeto. It's a stringy mess of algae that you don't want in the DT. This algae will need its own light and serves to remove nitrate and phosphate from your water. These are the 2 that every reefer focuses on managing. The rest can be dosed and dealt with easily.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Snowythesnowflakeeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should buy a tank that already has an overflow and the holes done for you. The sump works like this.... water from DT (display tank) flows out of an overflow and down the the sump. The first thing that happens is the water goes through filter socks. They're a fabric that cleans the water somewhat. From there it flows over and under barriers trapping bubbles along the way. In the sump you can have what ever mechanical things you want or different media like carbon or GFO. Depending on the tanks needs. You also have a place to grow chaeto. It's a stringy mess of algae that you don't want in the DT. This algae will need its own light and serves to remove nitrate and phosphate from your water. These are the 2 that every reefer focuses on managing. The rest can be dosed and dealt with easily.
Ok, so the sump is above the tank and flows into the main tank? I also saw some people had fish in their sump? Is that necessary to cycle, or is it a personal choice?

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so the sump is above the tank and flows into the main tank? I also saw some people had fish in their sump? Is that necessary to cycle, or is it a personal choice?
Nope, sump is below the main. Best to have everything setup before you cycle. Other option you can start cycling your rocks in a bin or use live rock to skip the cycle all together. Starting with established rock has many benefits buts limits ability to design your scape and purchased live rock could have pests.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back