HELP - Should I wait until after vacation??

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am supposed to be picking up 18 frags of SPS(mostly if not all acro's) tomorrow. I wasnt thinking beforehand but I am leaving for vacation in a little less than 3 weeks. We are taking a 5 day cruise and I am little worried because the last cruise my wife and I went on was in 2007. When we returned, I came home to a completely dead tank. I now have an Apex and better measures in place with my ATO, etc. I will have wifi on the ship along with cameras for monitoring.

What do you all think? Do you think I will be fine or should I wait? I dont want to invest the money to have them die. However. I am getting a great deal on some nice Acros so i would hate to pass them up.

Decisions, decisions, I have a lot to think about before tomorrow.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are worried your warning systems will fail, then might as well go for it. It's the why you put those systems in place.

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F3BB0E98-1B50-4791-ADA8-06E4539D7597.jpeg

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts, would be “depends”

My only near casualty (which will take time to recover) was a baseball sized Monti that is half bleached because it is encrusted on on thin small rock and my urchin knocked it upside down on top of my elegance.

Small frags, in a frag rack etc, will be goners if knocked into the sand etc. so I would factor that in depending on how likely that is in your setup

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are worried your warning systems will fail, then might as well go for it. It's the why you put those systems in place.

You are dangerous my friend.....I like it

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it were me and I didn't have somebody coming over daily to check on the tank then Id wait

I will have my father in law who could come over if needed. He has not experience though.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is stable with all parameters. Have never lost power in the 4 years we have lived here. I feel confident that nothing will fail except maybe the ATO if it gets clogged, etc.

Just had a bad experience with the last cruise so just a little nervous.

The frags will be freshly cut tomorrow when I pick them out. That is another worry is that they wont be encrusted frags and a little more prone to issues.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts, would be “depends”

My only near casualty (which will take time to recover) was a baseball sized Monti that is half bleached because it is encrusted on on thin small rock and my urchin knocked it upside down on top of my elegance.

Small frags, in a frag rack etc, will be goners if knocked into the sand etc. so I would factor that in depending on how likely that is in your setup

If I pick them up tomorrow I was going to put them in the rack for a week to get used to my lighting then mount them before the cruise.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
three weeks should be enough time to settle in. Maybe a bit of encrusting may start.
You have a solid plan and help if needed. I would go ahead and pick them up.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have my father in law who could come over if needed. He has not experience though.
At least your father inlaw can tell if something doesnt look right. Id probably would feel the same way you do. I think when we all go on vacation we get a little nervous.

Todd Kellley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny I find myself in a similar situation, 7 yr wedding anniversary and 50th B-day coming up next weekend. Vacation starts Tuesday yet 2 anemones that are not doing well so this will be a "stay at home" vacation now. Granted you do not want to miss a cruise which I am sure is paid for already!

It is a wonderful thing to see people actually think of the life they are caring for to this extent. So many critters lost to those that throw caution to the wind. H2oh2o.....I think you will be fine my friend. Your cautiousness proves you are prepared and have equipped your tank as such. Trust your gut and trust your system. You will come back from your cruise to lots of new growth and well rested yourself!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two different potential issues.

1. System stability while away, ATO reservoir stays topped off, electric stays on, flood for some unknown reason.....etc. only you know your system. Definitely someone to come over and feed fish, check the system is a must.

2. Freshly cut frags going from one tank parameters to a different set of parameters is a gamble. They should stay in the tank parameters they where grown in until healed/encrusting and healthy, then moved. Many hobbyist have lost frags due to "freshly" cut transfers/shipments.

Your call, but I wouldn't want to buy freshly cut frags from another system, especially acropora and add them to my system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
three weeks should be enough time to settle in. Maybe a bit of encrusting may start.
You have a solid plan and help if needed. I would go ahead and pick them up.

I needed the extra push...

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny I find myself in a similar situation, 7 yr wedding anniversary and 50th B-day coming up next weekend. Vacation starts Tuesday yet 2 anemones that are not doing well so this will be a "stay at home" vacation now. Granted you do not want to miss a cruise which I am sure is paid for already!

It is a wonderful thing to see people actually think of the life they are caring for to this extent. So many critters lost to those that throw caution to the wind. H2oh2o.....I think you will be fine my friend. Your cautiousness proves you are prepared and have equipped your tank as such. Trust your gut and trust your system. You will come back from your cruise to lots of new growth and well rested yourself!

Thank you!

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two different potential issues.

1. System stability while away, ATO reservoir stays topped off, electric stays on, flood for some unknown reason.....etc. only you know your system. Definitely someone to come over and feed fish, check the system is a must.

2. Freshly cut frags going from one tank parameters to a different set of parameters is a gamble. They should stay in the tank parameters they where grown in until healed/encrusting and healthy, then moved. Many hobbyist have lost frags due to "freshly" cut transfers/shipments.

Your call, but I wouldn't want to buy freshly cut frags from another system, especially acropora and add them to my system.

I am going to talk with the supplier tomorrow. I am going to see if he can leave them in his tank until I return.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to talk with the supplier tomorrow. I am going to see if he can leave them in his tank until I return.

It's really the best way to do this. It will give you a chance to observe them once you return. If he can cut them and mount them now, it will help.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really the best way to do this. It will give you a chance to observe them once you return. If he can cut them and mount them now, it will help.

Hopefully he will hold them. I am going tomorrow to pick them out and he will cut them fresh tomorrow.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back