Help/Suggestions with new Tank build.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I find myself in the unenviable position of not buying a big enough tank to do what I want to do. I spent a lot of time before purchasing and thought I had it right... but I didn't. My Waterbox 60.2 ain't gonna cut it. So, after 3.5 months of convincing myself I can live with it, I can't. I've made the executive decision to not prolong the pain and upgrade to a 65-75 gallon DT. I'm hoping I can transfer most of my equipment to the new build, along with adding an additional light and wavemaker. I'm fairly certain I will have to upgrade my return pump(I have a RO Varios 2).

I'm looking at 3 systems in the 65-75 gallon range:

1. The new Red Sea XL 300: https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/reefer-300-xl-80-gallon-black-aquarium-system-red-sea/. I love the idea of the PNP feature of this tank, but I swore I wouldn't buy another tank with a wood stand. I really don't see this as a possibility because of the wood stand, but I also wanted to keep an open mind and see what others had to say about it. And with my limited experience with plumbing, this is by far the easiest to deal with. Price $1649 black.

2. Mode Aquariums Infinity Series 75 gallon: https://www.modeaquariums.com/product/75g-infinity-series-aquariums/. Complete package with DT, aluminum stand, and sump is $1599.00 delivered. The plumbing is a little more involved, but everything is cut to size--All you have to do is glue it together. Unfortunately all plumbing is metric. Panels attach to the cabinet frame by magnets which makes the entire sump area easily accessible. The sump comes with a refugium, which may not be applicable to me, but it's there if I want to use it. I've been watching Eat-Sleep-Reef with his 50 gallon build. These tanks look really decent and are the best value.

3. Innovative Marine Nuvo 75 gallon: https://www.innovative-marine.com/nuvo-ext-75-gallon. Probably my favorite. DT and aluminum stand come in at $1500 and you have to supply your own sump. I've been looking at sumps from Trigger Systems (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sapphire-sump-26-trigger-systems.html), and Bashsea (https://premiumaquatics.com/products/bashsea-30x15x16-tuxedo-signature-series-sump-black-white.html). With the sump this is the most expensive of the 3, but I get the most flexibility. The plumbing is also going to be the most complex for me and I believe I have to provide the gate valve. I know for those who have dealt with plumbing a system before this may be academic, but I haven't and i'm a little intimidated. lol

If anyone has suggestions on other tank systems, I'm all ears.

My current equipment list:
-Return pump: RO Various 2
-Wavemaker: RO Octopulse 2. I'm planning on adding an additional one for this build
-Lights: I have 1 AI 16HD. I'll just add an additional. 2 of these should meet all of the lighting requirements. No SPS, only softies and LPS. And the 1 AI 16HD on my current system is working great.
-Heater: Finnex 300 watt with controller. Back-up Eheim 200 watt
-Protein Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite
-ATO: Tunze 3155

Thanks for any help in advance.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you've decided. I'd go with your favorite...all look comparable. Custom sump is a nice way to get more flexibility.

However, just as a suggestion in that price range. I was looking at SC Aquariums when shopping. They have a 90 gal - 36x24x24 for a good price - $800 now (reviews vary). You'll likely want to go with custom stand (8020.net or steel custom) since system comes with wood and I don't like their sumps personally...still might come under $1500 when all is said and done and would maximize gallons for horizontal dimensions.

There are a lot of people on here to help with plumbing and it's really straightforward...just dry fit everything first. :)

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you've decided. I'd go with your favorite...all look comparable. Custom sump is a nice way to get more flexibility.

However, just as a suggestion in that price range. I was looking at SC Aquariums when shopping. They have a 90 gal - 36x24x24 for a good price - $800 now (reviews vary). You'll likely want to go with custom stand (8020.net or steel custom) since system comes with wood and I don't like their sumps personally...still might come under $1500 when all is said and done and would maximize gallons for horizontal dimensions.

There are a lot of people on here to help with plumbing and it's really straightforward...just dry fit everything first. :)

I looked at SC and 90 gallons is too much tank for me. I didn't feel good about their tanks and would rather get more of a system than piecing it together.

I haven't decided. lol I could go with either IM or Mode. They both have their virtues.

And thanks for the plumbing confidence. lol I'm sure i'll be fine... it's the unknown that gets me.:rolleyes:

Coach_M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the same boat. Ext 75 or mode infinity 75. You get a sump with the mode but it takes up the entire cab space.

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the same boat. Ext 75 or mode infinity 75. You get a sump with the mode but it takes up the entire cab space.

I purchased the Infinity 75G yesterday. I felt really good about the purchase after speaking with the owner, Eddie, several times. Also, mode Aq. is being featured on Antonio's Eat/Sleep/Reef youtube channel. He has nothing but good things to say about it. Yes, I do understand he's being sponsored. Inappropriate Reefer and Reef Builders have featured Mode Aq., too. It's just too good of a deal to pass on.

Having the sump take up entire space is irrelevant in the Infinity Series because all of the panels that attach to the aluminum frame do so by magnets. I'm building a small cabinet to keep my controllers, power strips, etc. GL with your choice.

html

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I find myself in the unenviable position of not buying a big enough tank to do what I want to do. I spent a lot of time before purchasing and thought I had it right... but I didn't. My Waterbox 60.2 ain't gonna cut it. So, after 3.5 months of convincing myself I can live with it, I can't. I've made the executive decision to not prolong the pain and upgrade to a 65-75 gallon DT. I'm hoping I can transfer most of my equipment to the new build, along with adding an additional light and wavemaker. I'm fairly certain I will have to upgrade my return pump(I have a RO Varios 2).

I'm looking at 3 systems in the 65-75 gallon range:

1. The new Red Sea XL 300: https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/reefer-300-xl-80-gallon-black-aquarium-system-red-sea/. I love the idea of the PNP feature of this tank, but I swore I wouldn't buy another tank with a wood stand. I really don't see this as a possibility because of the wood stand, but I also wanted to keep an open mind and see what others had to say about it. And with my limited experience with plumbing, this is by far the easiest to deal with. Price $1649 black.

2. Mode Aquariums Infinity Series 75 gallon: https://www.modeaquariums.com/product/75g-infinity-series-aquariums/. Complete package with DT, aluminum stand, and sump is $1599.00 delivered. The plumbing is a little more involved, but everything is cut to size--All you have to do is glue it together. Unfortunately all plumbing is metric. Panels attach to the cabinet frame by magnets which makes the entire sump area easily accessible. The sump comes with a refugium, which may not be applicable to me, but it's there if I want to use it. I've been watching Eat-Sleep-Reef with his 50 gallon build. These tanks look really decent and are the best value.

3. Innovative Marine Nuvo 75 gallon: https://www.innovative-marine.com/nuvo-ext-75-gallon. Probably my favorite. DT and aluminum stand come in at $1500 and you have to supply your own sump. I've been looking at sumps from Trigger Systems (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sapphire-sump-26-trigger-systems.html), and Bashsea (https://premiumaquatics.com/products/bashsea-30x15x16-tuxedo-signature-series-sump-black-white.html). With the sump this is the most expensive of the 3, but I get the most flexibility. The plumbing is also going to be the most complex for me and I believe I have to provide the gate valve. I know for those who have dealt with plumbing a system before this may be academic, but I haven't and i'm a little intimidated. lol

If anyone has suggestions on other tank systems, I'm all ears.

My current equipment list:
-Return pump: RO Various 2
-Wavemaker: RO Octopulse 2. I'm planning on adding an additional one for this build
-Lights: I have 1 AI 16HD. I'll just add an additional. 2 of these should meet all of the lighting requirements. No SPS, only softies and LPS. And the 1 AI 16HD on my current system is working great.
-Heater: Finnex 300 watt with controller. Back-up Eheim 200 watt
-Protein Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite
-ATO: Tunze 3155

Thanks for any help in advance.
Get the best for you and you will not regret you did not buy cheaper one

Coach_M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be looking out for it! Pulling the trigger on the nuvo today. Biggest thing that swayed me was I wanted to use a different sump and the plumbing. Been following inappropriate reefer forever and his new 130 mode looks fantastic, your 75 will too!

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be looking out for it! Pulling the trigger on the nuvo today. Biggest thing that swayed me was I wanted to use a different sump and the plumbing. Been following inappropriate reefer forever and his new 130 mode looks fantastic, your 75 will too!

I understand. Those were things I was considering, also. It basically came down to flipping a coin. GL with the new tank. I hope u will do a build thread. It will be interesting to see the two tanks and how they work out.

be well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back