*Help* Sump Baffle Add Question

Pshopcars107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an RS-300 sump I’m setting up, it runs pretty quiet besides the water coming up, over and then down the filter socks. It’s a long way down before hitting the water in the sump. Could I add an acrylic piece right after the filter socks and have the water level higher, creating a new chamber basically. I would say have it come up to about an inch or so to the top of the socks. Not sure if I’ll just have the same effect of the water sound going into the main sump portion after that or if there was some way to add a piece of sponge or something to “catch” the waterfall sound. Any ideas or am I already on the right track?

0CABAD21-8A53-422D-8D24-A6A8985BDA20.jpeg

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are absolutely on there right track, with one minor exception.

Don't place the baffle right after the socks ... doing so will create another waterfall into the next compartment. instead, you can place it anywhere in the sump and create a return section at the opposite end of the sump, such that it maintains the running water level in the compartment right after the socks is an inch or so below to top of the socks.

See below for an example from Trigger Systems:

1615002698586.png

You will notice they have a baffle immediately following the socks that is undercut to allow water to flow out of the bottom of the sock compartment (so not "waterfall" into the next compartment), and that the running water level of the entire sump is controlled by the last blue-colored baffle before the return compartment.

This is what I had on my tank for many years and never had a problem with noise.

So, in the picture above, you can skip the first and second blue baffles and only install the third one to get the result you are looking for.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
P

Pshopcars107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump already has that baffle with the return chamber, but that actually makes more sense! I didn’t think of that. I could make the baffle right before that sponge a little taller, add a secondary media tray above the sponge and raise the center volume all at the same time. Great idea!

Attachments

• C00A8679-1A9C-4DE2-947A-BAD52E0EA8FC.jpeg
    C00A8679-1A9C-4DE2-947A-BAD52E0EA8FC.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 28

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely ... much easier!

If you cut a piece of acrylic to the width of your sump you could attach it to the current baffle (the short yellow one in the picture) with a set of screws so you could adjust it somewhat. Remember, the connection between the current and new baffle doesn't need to be water-tight to give you control over the water level in the sump.

Make sure to post a picture of what you decide to do!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back