Help; Tailspot Blenny sick

Machines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a tailspot blenny for about a month. Hes in a Nano tank, only other fish he's housed with is a royal gramma (they were assertive with each other at first but became tolerant and act like they don't exist around one another now) fed on roe eggs and picks at macro algae. Within the past 3 days he's gotten VERY skinny, lethargic, now breathing heavily. I bought some LFS pellets since I speculated not enough herbivore diet might be the issue but he can't hold it down. He seems interested in eating but just spits it back out. The royal gramma is fine. Am I too late to do anything for him? Thank you in advance

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A couple of pics under white lights would be helpful is assessment. The symptoms you describe point to brooklynella but , a wild guess until confirmed via pics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a tailspot blenny for about a month. Hes in a Nano tank, only other fish he's housed with is a royal gramma (they were assertive with each other at first but became tolerant and act like they don't exist around one another now) fed on roe eggs and picks at macro algae. Within the past 3 days he's gotten VERY skinny, lethargic, now breathing heavily. I bought some LFS pellets since I speculated not enough herbivore diet might be the issue but he can't hold it down. He seems interested in eating but just spits it back out. The royal gramma is fine. Am I too late to do anything for him? Thank you in advance

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Here is a link to some helpful information for us to know about your fish and tank prior to trying to figure out what might be going on:

Thanks,

Jay

OP
OP
M

Machines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of pics under white lights would be helpful is assessment. The symptoms you describe point to brooklynella but , a wild guess until confirmed via pics

Thanks so much for the quick response; Here's a youtube link of how he was yesterday:
blenny youtube link

This morning it seems like the stress bands across his body are gone or minimal. Still lethargic and hanging around the bottom, which is unusual behavior. I apologize for the photo quality, its difficult since he's so small and my cameras not that great!
IMG_20210417_112738210.jpg

IMG_20210417_111218005.jpg

Once I get more information on the water quality and aquarium parameters / other details Ill add it here

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks so much for the quick response; Here's a youtube link of how he was yesterday:
blenny youtube link

This morning it seems like the stress bands across his body are gone or minimal. Still lethargic and hanging around the bottom, which is unusual behavior. I apologize for the photo quality, its difficult since he's so small and my cameras not that great!
IMG_20210417_112738210.jpg

IMG_20210417_111218005.jpg

Once I get more information on the water quality and aquarium parameters / other details Ill add it here
Does this fish respond to feeding ?
Generally a very busy and active fish. As you are gathering parameter info, what test kits are you using to check water quality?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back