HELP Tang aggression

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a 275G tank and have a black tang in it. I just added a purple tang (yes I know same body shape) and the black tang is beating up the purple tang pretty bad. I originally had the purple tang in an acclimation box and the black tang just ignored it, but as soon as I let him out, the purple tang became public enemy number 1 in the eyes of the black tang.
I just caught the black tang and he is currently in an acclimation box.

my question, would it be best to leave the black tang in the acclimation box for a week or put I’m in my empty refugium in the sump which is about 20 gallons for a week or so? I’m hoping if I introduce him last he will stop being the aggressor.

thanks for all the help.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you’ve already caught him, it wouldn’t hurt to leave him in there for a few days. Then make sure you have some good hiding spots and feed well when you re-introduce him.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a 275G tank and have a black tang in it. I just added a purple tang (yes I know same body shape) and the black tang is beating up the purple tang pretty bad. I originally had the purple tang in an acclimation box and the black tang just ignored it, but as soon as I let him out, the purple tang became public enemy number 1 in the eyes of the black tang.
I just caught the black tang and he is currently in an acclimation box.

my question, would it be best to leave the black tang in the acclimation box for a week or put I’m in my empty refugium in the sump which is about 20 gallons for a week or so? I’m hoping if I introduce him last he will stop being the aggressor.

thanks for all the help.
FWIW, it's not the "same body shape" that brings on the aggression, it's the fact it's a competitor for the same food source. They're both herbivores.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try placing mirrors in the favorite places where the black tang hangs out. It will also help if you shift your aquascape a bit to confuse both of them.

OP
OP
Y

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, it's not the "same body shape" that brings on the aggression, it's the fact it's a competitor for the same food source. They're both herbivores.
Ahh, I’ve read that there is kore of a chance of aggression when the tangs are from the same family.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, I’ve read that there is kore of a chance of aggression when the tangs are from the same family.

Safest way when introducing Tangs or similar herbivores (Foxface, rabbitfish, etc..) is add them at the same time. In your case it's "hit or miss". You can try the mirror that works sometimes or rearrange you rockscape that works sometimes also. But be prepared to rehome one or the other, they can get brutal which raises stress in other fish in tank.

OP
OP
Y

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safest way when introducing Tangs or similar herbivores (Foxface, rabbitfish, etc..) is add them at the same time. In your case it's "hit or miss". You can try the mirror that works sometimes or rearrange you rockscape that works sometimes also. But be prepared to rehome one or the other, they can get brutal which raises stress in other fish in tank.
Agreed, that was the goal, but the fish arrived a few days apart which was not the plan originally. I’m going to put the aggressor in the sump for a week and introduce him back in. If things don’t get better, one will have to go.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with sumping the aggressor for a cool off period, as long as he doesn't stress, keep them apart as long as you can. I know it's not always practical, but rearranging rock could also help. Also the old mirror trick.

I have two, purple and yellow, they fuss on occasion but never murder driven, but they went into the tank at the same time.

I am looking for a fox face but am a little afraid to introducing another big algae eater.

Good luck, keep us posted.
I dream of a black tang lol

OP
OP
Y

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with sumping the aggressor for a cool off period, as long as he doesn't stress, keep them apart as long as you can. I know it's not always practical, but rearranging rock could also help. Also the old mirror trick.

I have two, purple and yellow, they fuss on occasion but never murder driven, but they went into the tank at the same time.

I am looking for a fox face but am a little afraid to introducing another big algae eater.

Good luck, keep us posted.
I dream of a black tang lol
Thanks! The black tang is my wife’s favorite, so unfortunately if one has to go, it will be the purple. I’m hoping a week in timeout will calm him down.

OP
OP
Y

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the black tang in the sump for a few days and then into an acclimation box in the DT for a day. He is no longer aggressive, but now everyone is being mean to my Yellow tang who was the first in the tank. I’m building up a frag system which I think I will end up putting him in.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the black tang in the sump for a few days and then into an acclimation box in the DT for a day. He is no longer aggressive, but now everyone is being mean to my Yellow tang who was the first in the tank. I’m building up a frag system which I think I will end up putting him in.
or sell him and secure your retirement :p
good to know that the aggression subsided. i am planning to get a blonde naso and purple/sohal/bristletooth tang. sohal is almost out of the race.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back