Help- Toadstool peeling / discolored on base (not shedding)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting (and unfortunate) situation. I agree with recommendation path described by @DeniseAndy .

Note: we often focus on the weakest member of our artificial reef, and make changes trying to save the weak that end up taking out the entire system. Focus your efforts on keeping healthy what you have that is doing well. Sometimes, too often, the corals that we want the most to thrive dont and another coral (s) are doing extremely well for us which causes us to ignore/presume that they will also continue thriving while we meddle.

Ask me how I know.

Be happy and protect the coral that thrives for you. Do what you can for the others but know that almost everyone has at least one coral that they can't keep alive. Know(sic) one has explained why this is, because imo we can't.

How was your vacation @cdw79 ? I haven't had a real vacation in two years. Tomorrow is Aunt Polly's memorial service on the other side of L.A. traffic at 1300 hours. I hope to stop at some friends houses or a few LFS along the way.

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I will accept my L. Tomorrow morning I'll do the deed and hope for the best. Thanks to everyone who helped advise on this- it's maddening that one of the "easiest" corals to keep is one causing me issues, but such is life. I'll probably start keeping an eye out for another, more medium sized toadstool on a rock of its own once the dust settles on this one.

In some good news, though, the sinularia actually shed today. In 6 months or so I'd never seen it do that before. It's not fully extended, but that makes me feel better. It also looks somewhat improved in terms of how much it's extended compared to the last several days. So to your point @KrisReef , I'll get the straggler out to protect the rest. A very good point.

One last think I'm trying to figure out- the leather is currently on two different pieces of rock (it's holding them together with its stem). Once I do the deed and cut it up tomorrow, I figure I throw the stalk away and cut it from the rock. My original idea for the space the big toadstool is in is that it would dominate that back corner of the scape, but now this is making me rethink that idea and instead potentially build it up with some more rock for a more dramatic cliff-type look. Would I be ok to put the two pieces of rock back in? I can try to get most of the tissue off but I'm not sure how Kosher that is. Any thoughts?

Any my vacation was wonderful, thanks for asking! Every vacation is better knowing I can go check in on the tank with my Wyze camera- as neurotic reefer, this has been a great investment lol

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back