Help- Toadstool peeling / discolored on base (not shedding)

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sfin52 The only thing remotely close to it is a colt coral, so doubting it's getting any issues being stung. I dose your standard 2 part via my doser but that's it

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sfin52 The only thing remotely close to it is a colt coral, so doubting it's getting any issues being stung. I dose your standard 2 part via my doser but that's it
Does go in the sump or straight in the tank

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It gets added in the sump, so no chemicals make direct contact with anything in the display. This repeated shedding situation has happened before, but eventually it normalized. I'm more concerned that the mucus layer in these two small sections seem to have fleshy bits in them- it's not transparent like it would normally be. Can't tell if it's because it picked up detritus or it's actual coral flesh, but it isn't typical

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its starting to look worse I would cut it out. A
new Sharp razor blade and a complete cut with out a saw action. I would also dip after cutting.

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely thinking about it for those particular parts. Not sure how I'd approach it to make the rest still look natural but I'll see if it gets to that point. In the meantime I'm going to keep a close eye on it for the next several days. Is there any significance to it not opening up as "long" as it used to? Maybe because it's still kinda half shedding?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely thinking about it for those particular parts. Not sure how I'd approach it to make the rest still look natural but I'll see if it gets to that point. In the meantime I'm going to keep a close eye on it for the next several days. Is there any significance to it not opening up as "long" as it used to? Maybe because it's still kinda half shedding?
It will grow out and you won't even notice. I wouldn't worry about the rest. The less cuts at this point the better

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Likely elevated phosphate and lack of flow to area. Adding iodine to water often helps or even an iodine dip. Toadstool corals are very sensitive to nitrate and phosphate levels. Keep phosphates for these guys at about .02-.05 in your tank. Phosphates are responsible for two functions. The first is control of and for the overall effect on coral’s health. Too much phosphate and algae will have a feast on tank and coral
Drooping is not abnormal but tissue damage and disintegration is.

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's update- seems like the white growth / whatever it is has progressed. Just took this pic w a flashlight (lights haven't come on yet) and the top left seems to have gotten worse. Looking back at the pictures from Friday, it definitely seems to have progressed. This picture doesn't seem to capture it but there are more thin pieces / mucus flaking off the side and the facing the back of the tank (left side in this pic).

1647274880060.png

That said the other side of the coral is still the normal flesh color for the most part. This side probably gets the least floe per @vetteguy53081 's point, weirdly.
1647275129868.png

Also noticed this white buildup on the crown, but that looks much more like typical mucus that is set to be, yet again, secreted.
1647275342381.png

I leave town Wednesday night until Sunday so trying to do what I can in the meantime- will definitely add fresh carbon before I leave just in case. Any thoughts based on the progression in the first picture? And any iodine supplements / dips you'd recommend? I've never done an iodine dip on coral before so not sure what to try and get on amazon, which would be most ideal in terms of it getting here before I leave. Thanks all, this is stressing me out but I appreciate all the help

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Today's update- seems like the white growth / whatever it is has progressed. Just took this pic w a flashlight (lights haven't come on yet) and the top left seems to have gotten worse. Looking back at the pictures from Friday, it definitely seems to have progressed. This picture doesn't seem to capture it but there are more thin pieces / mucus flaking off the side and the facing the back of the tank (left side in this pic).

1647274880060.png

That said the other side of the coral is still the normal flesh color for the most part. This side probably gets the least floe per @vetteguy53081 's point, weirdly.
1647275129868.png

Also noticed this white buildup on the crown, but that looks much more like typical mucus that is set to be, yet again, secreted.
1647275342381.png

I leave town Wednesday night until Sunday so trying to do what I can in the meantime- will definitely add fresh carbon before I leave just in case. Any thoughts based on the progression in the first picture? And any iodine supplements / dips you'd recommend? I've never done an iodine dip on coral before so not sure what to try and get on amazon, which would be most ideal in terms of it getting here before I leave. Thanks all, this is stressing me out but I appreciate all the help
You will have recourse but to cut cleanly straight across the rot. Do this outside the tank in a container with tank water. Cut slowly
These leathers heal nicely and quickly

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean cut out all the white? It's all over basically and it's on the base- I've seen how to frag a leather from the crown but not sure on this. Any video to follow by chance? Not sure how to go about it given how extensive it is

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do you mean cut out all the white? It's all over basically and it's on the base- I've seen how to frag a leather from the crown but not sure on this. Any video to follow by chance? Not sure how to go about it given how extensive it is
Cut across the stem creating a new foot for the leather

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white goes all the way to the top on two sides, I should cut it that high? Not sure there would be any foot left. Is the white part a goner?

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked again and the white extends as tall as the base of the crown, so if I cut it there the coral itself would be maybe a quarter inch tall at best. I'm not sure if it would even look like a coral in the end with all the cuts I'd have to take to it. But it sounds then like the white is probably some sort of necrosis..

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have recourse but to cut cleanly straight across the rot. Do this outside the tank in a container with tank water. Cut slowly
These leathers heal nicely and quickly
Agree. The back side of the coral isn't getting flow.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked again and the white extends as tall as the base of the crown, so if I cut it there the coral itself would be maybe a quarter inch tall at best. I'm not sure if it would even look like a coral in the end with all the cuts I'd have to take to it. But it sounds then like the white is probably some sort of necrosis..
Agree it will recover. And you won't notice. Since this is a cut to health issues strongly recommend a dip like coral rx

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. The back side of the coral isn't getting flow.
But that's what I'm confused about- the side with the white from the first pic from today is the one getting the most flow.

Also called my LFS and (purely based on description) think it might be a bacterial infection? Could be off the mark given the lack of pics over the phone but figured I'd mention. The need to cut it does seem inevitable though, sadly, as it sounds like it may be too far gone for a dip by the sounds of it? It's such a huge nice looking coral otherwise.

How far away do I need to cut from the white parts? I'd like to save as much of the crown and part of the stem as possible but not at the expense of not actually solving the problem of course

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But that's what I'm confused about- the side with the white from the first pic from today is the one getting the most flow.

Also called my LFS and (purely based on description) think it might be a bacterial infection? Could be off the mark given the lack of pics over the phone but figured I'd mention. The need to cut it does seem inevitable though, sadly, as it sounds like it may be too far gone for a dip by the sounds of it? It's such a huge nice looking coral otherwise.

How far away do I need to cut from the white parts? I'd like to save as much of the crown and part of the stem as possible but not at the expense of not actually solving the problem of course
I would give good margin. I've never had this happen. In. Low flow I had detritus build up ina finger leather caused a rot issue and lost the hole thing. Nothing ever looked like what you had going ok.

The frag you need to dip no the whole coral and I would disgaud the rest of the coral. You can try to frag other peices that look good. Hedge on multiple frags.

@Eagle_Steve dosing whole tank like you do for torches

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give good margin. I've never had this happen. In. Low flow I had detritus build up ina finger leather caused a rot issue and lost the hole thing. Nothing ever looked like what you had going ok.

The frag you need to dip no the whole coral and I would disgaud the rest of the coral. You can try to frag other peices that look good. Hedge on multiple frags.

@Eagle_Steve dosing whole tank like you do for torches
I have never dosed for leathers with issues, and usually leathers always reacted with a good shed after dosing a tank for BJD in euphillia.

Not sure if dosing would work for them or not.

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve @sfin52 So it seems like both of you are on team cut it up? Ultimately I'll go ahead and do it if that's the best chance of keeping it alive but admittedly I wanted to be sure before I do the deed

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve @sfin52 So it seems like both of you are on team cut it up? Ultimately I'll go ahead and do it if that's the best chance of keeping it alive but admittedly I wanted to be sure before I do the deed
I tend to treat leathers like SPS. If I run into a serious issue, I frag them and dip them. Typically I do an iodine based dip like SeaChem Reef Dip or Lugols with leathers, for example.

I clip leather to just beyond damaged tissue, make sure only healthy tissue is kept. I then will place in a basket with rock rubble in high flow to allow them to heal and attach naturally. This is of course after dipping. When dealing with sick leathers, I never thread string through them or use tooth pics to fasten them, as I do not want to stress them more. They will already be stressed, as they have to heal from the cuts.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back