Help, torch corals keep losing heads/dying.

OP
OP

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates or possible solutions to the problem yet? My favorite torch is doing the same thing, just keep receeding no matter what I try..

So what I did was, cut the bright torch in half so only the healthy head was left. Also cut the bad head off the green torch and then dipped both torches in Coral Rx followed by Seachem Reef Dip and rinsed in tank water before putting back in to the tank.

Bright torch didn't make it so binned it a few days later. Green torch did really well, expanded better than ever and looked amazing, however these past 3 days the left head hasn't expanded more then 2cm at most and the right head yesterday no more than 3.5cm, don't know what's up with it, but it's annoying as hell I tell you.

OP
OP

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the left head of my last remaining torch is also stripping. Somehow I'm able to keep Gonioporas but can't keep a torch coral alive to save my own life.
20170713_111342.jpg

By contrast this is my torch garden from my old tank which was thriving and I miss it dearly :( The gold torch and the one right above it got just as long if not more than the green torch below it.

torch garden.jpg

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this problem many years ago and kept loosing all my LPS, except for a green bubble. Tried different light bulbs and all, but still same result, just couldn't keep LPS. All new corals started receding and loosing heads.

Finally somebody suggested dipping the corals. The only dip type solution my LFS had was Lugols solution. So, I picked up a bottle and dipped the one I had. I forget if I dipped it again before it started to look better, but it slowly started to look better. I eventually decided to start adding drops directly to my tank (4 drops twice a week in my 90) and it actually helped and they all got better. I've been keeping them ever since and occasionally throw 4 drops of the lugols here and there.

If possible, pull your frag and do a dip. I believe I put like 8 drops in a small container for like 15 minutes, but the directions for a dip were on the container. It's worth a try to see if it helps you like it did me. Good luck.

Val Shebeko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try moving him to a different spot. Moved mine to less light seems to helping. Dunno.

OP
OP

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I cut off the stripping head entirely leaving only the healthy one and dipped in Seachem Reef Dip, rinsed in tank water and placed on the sand bed. Currently looks like this, wonder how long before it starts to go to hell as well.

20170713_202109.jpg

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same problems with my torches. Don’t seem to be melting? I’m thinking a fish has to picking on mine? All other corals are fine. Hammers etc. I’m totally lost on this.

Purplelobst92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same problems with my torches. Don’t seem to be melting? I’m thinking a fish has to picking on mine? All other corals are fine. Hammers etc. I’m totally lost on this.
euphyllia hate salinity swings i had this same issue when i first started keeping them and it was due to salinity... get an auto top off if you don't already have one that has made me uber successful with torches

Alex716796

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity swings for sure are hated by them. They also hate swings in alk and ph. Like crazy ph swing not the normal from day to night. Also euphyllia in general hate phosphates and if they are to high you will start to lose them

Exotic Coral Collection

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had touches dying also and couldn’t figure it out. I saw a strange flatworm in tank. Ended up I had euphyllia eating flatworms. They can destroy all of your euphyllia. Dip a sick one if you can and see if worms come off of it in dip.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back