Help! Velvet or Brook?

tenticle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know what is going on. Lost two clown fish, dog face puffer and domino in the last 4 days.
The DFP had cloudy eyes, tight fins, loss of appetite and looked like mucus coming off. I attached a video of his last day . Had moved him to QT and treated with ApI general cure.
Moving a second domino to QT. He is pale, ragged fins, not eating, trying to get a pic/vid. My trigger and chromis are periodically flashing.

only invert is a large hermit crab.
Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks!!!!!

Attachments

• 70621120837__9EB50506-6725-4B3A-9F56-240176F100B5.mov
    67.4 MB
OP
OP
T

tenticle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know what is going on. Lost two clown fish, dog face puffer and domino in the last 4 days.
The DFP had cloudy eyes, tight fins, loss of appetite and looked like mucus coming off. I attached photos of his last day . Had moved him to QT and treated with ApI general cure.
Moving a second domino to QT. He is pale, ragged fins, not eating, trying to get a pic/vid. My trigger and chromis are periodically flashing.

IMG_1317.jpeg
IMG_1318.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vid won’t play on my end but hopefully someone could get it to load (can you try uploading it as a YouTube video?) for a better diagnosis.
How fast is the fish breathing? How did others act before dying?
General cure contains praziquantel and metronidazole, so is better suited for flukes than ich, velvet, or brook.
Based on the pics, it looks like late stage ich. Treating in qt with coppersafe at 2.5 ppm for 30 days and a 60 day fallow period will be the best course of treatment.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That guy looks really rough and shedding skin,

The DFP had cloudy eyes, tight fins, loss of appetite and looked like mucus coming off. I attached a video of his last day . Had moved him to QT and treated with ApI general cure.

For the #fishmedic can you post the video in youtube and place link here?
help.jpg

Some may not be able to see the video. That puffer needs help asap.

OP
OP
T

tenticle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vid won’t play on my end but hopefully someone could get it to load (can you try uploading it as a YouTube video?) for a better diagnosis.
How fast is the fish breathing? How did others act before dying?
General cure contains praziquantel and metronidazole, so is better suited for flukes than ich, velvet, or brook.
Based on the pics, it looks like late stage ich. Treating in qt with coppersafe at 2.5 ppm for 30 days and a 60 day fallow period will be the best course of treatment.
He was breathing pretty heavy. I’ll try to do the vid on YouTube. The one domino currently is on QT is is lethargic and not eating. Thanks for the advice. Going to try it

OP
OP
T

tenticle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully this video works #fishmedic. Unfortunately he did not make it. Trying to keep the rest of the tank alive

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hopefully this video works #fishmedic. Unfortunately he did not make it. Trying to keep the rest of the tank alive
This puffer has ich and a bacterial issue going on. I would look at water quality of display tank but this fish needs to be treated in quarantine with both General cure and Seachem Kanaplex or Coppersafe at lower level described below and seachem kanaplex. With velvet, you will see as on fish Scratching body against hard objects Fish is lethargic, Loss of appetite , Rapid, labored breathing, Fins clamped against the body.
Treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.0 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
T

tenticle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This puffer has ich and a bacterial issue going on. I would look at water quality of display tank but this fish needs to be treated in quarantine with both General cure and Seachem Kanaplex or Coppersafe at lower level described below and seachem kanaplex. With velvet, you will see as on fish Scratching body against hard objects Fish is lethargic, Loss of appetite , Rapid, labored breathing, Fins clamped against the body.
Treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.0 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
Thank you I will be moving the rest to QT today.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The display cannot be treated. Inverts do not contract ich, but the meds used (copper) are toxic to invertebrates and will kill them. What kind of fish? Are you able to get something larger like a 20?

OP
OP
T

tenticle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The display cannot be treated. Inverts do not contract ich, but the meds used (copper) are toxic to invertebrates and will kill them. What kind of fish? Are you able to get something larger like a 20?
I have 2 chromis; 2 damsels and a med trigger. I am challenged with space but going to see

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back