Help! Vortech anti-sync behavior...

Greenjeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anti-sync is admittedly still confusing for me...

From the ecotech manual
When a master pump is initiated and running in any one of the normal modes (such as Constant Speed, Random, Short Pulse, or Gyre), it sends out a signal telling other pumps what mode it is operating and what speed it is running at. VorTech pumps set to operate as slaves will listen for the master pump’s wireless signal and do either the same as the master pump (Sync Mode), or the opposite (Anti-Sync Mode). Slave pumps set in Sync Mode will perform exactly the same as the master pump and will be indicated by a white LED on the QuietDrive driver’s knob. Slave pumps set in Anti-Sync Mode will perform exactly the inverse of the master pump and will be indicated by the Control Dial illuminating Orange.For example, if the master pump is running at 80% speed, a slave pump in sync mode will run at 80% also. If that same slave pump was operating in Anti-Sync Mode, it will run at 20% speed (this is the inverse speed of 80%). As the master pump slows down, a slave pump in Sync Mode will slow down with it and a slave pump in Anti-Sync Mode will speed up.

So if the master is set to a Random mode@ 40% (like Lagoon), the master pump will vary from say 20-40%. Does this mean that the slave pump will vary from 60-80% when set to anti-sync @ 100%, or does this mean that the slave pump will also vary 20-40% but inverse from the master (master @30, slave @10)?

From the ecotech manual about setting slave speed individually:
While normally you cannot change the speed of a slave pump, because the speed is determined entirely by the master pump, with the EcoSmart driver you now have the ability to control the maximum speed of individual slave pumps independently from the master. This will come in handy if your aquarium setup requires higher flow in most areas but lower flows in other areas such as if a slave pump is used to provide spot flow to a delicate coral, or if it is used on the back of a narrow tank. In the default setting, a slave pump will always do exactly the same thing or the inverse of the master pump (based on whether it is set to Sync or Anti-Sync), and therefore the maximum speed that a slave pump can achieve is governed by the master pump

Unlike conventional modes (Constant Speed, Random, Short Pulse, and Long Pulse), when a master pump is set to an EcoSmart mode the slave pumps will not have Sync or Anti-Sync Mode options. Instead, they have settings which correspond to the pump’s position on the aquarium. There are three EcoSmart slave modes and they are (white, orange, turquoise)

Keep the "orange" side set to 100% in this case too?

So if my master profile is
Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 6.25.47 PM.png

Should my slave profile be
Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 6.26.11 PM.png

or
Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 6.26.32 PM.png

OP
OP
G

Greenjeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't gotten a satisfying answer anywhere and no response from Ecotech, so I've plugged my two Vortech's into my EB832 and am monitoring the power output throughout the day - some surprising results! I'll share what I've got when I have a full day of data.

Basically it looks like you should set Async@100% for "normal" random modes, and then turn it down to match the primary pump power for Ecosmart modes like Tidal Swell or Nutrient Transport modes. Really not at all what I expected.

OP
OP
G

Greenjeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Take a look at this power consumption graph, and compare it to the Master Mp40's profile. The Slave is set to anti-sync@100% for the whole time. The graph runs from 00:00 to 19:15. It's super obvious when it switches from a "normal" mode to an "ecosmart" mode.

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 7.27.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 7.28.18 PM.png

It appears that when the master pump is in a "normal" random mode (Lagoon, ReefCrest), setting the slave pump to anti-sync@100% will cause it to mirror the master pump in inverse, and limit its power output to the same power output limit as the master - exactly what I want

It also appears that when the master pump is in an "Ecosmart" mode (Tidal Swell, Nutrient Transport), setting the slave pump to anti-sync@100% will cause it to mirror the master pump in inverse, and limit its power to 100% (it's local setting)...what the heck. So If I run my master at 40% in TidalSwell and the slave in anti-sync at 100%, the master can only ever reach 40% power but the slave can reach 100%. Odd.

I'm going to adjust my slave profile to set anti-sync@100% for "normal" modes on the master pump, and then match the master pump's setting for the Ecosmart modes. Curious what that graph will look like - hoping to get the two pumps performing equally over the course of a day.

yasince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at this power consumption graph, and compare it to the Master Mp40's profile. The Slave is set to anti-sync@100% for the whole time. The graph runs from 00:00 to 19:15. It's super obvious when it switches from a "normal" mode to an "ecosmart" mode.

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 7.27.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 7.28.18 PM.png

It appears that when the master pump is in a "normal" random mode (Lagoon, ReefCrest), setting the slave pump to anti-sync@100% will cause it to mirror the master pump in inverse, and limit its power output to the same power output limit as the master - exactly what I want

It also appears that when the master pump is in an "Ecosmart" mode (Tidal Swell, Nutrient Transport), setting the slave pump to anti-sync@100% will cause it to mirror the master pump in inverse, and limit its power to 100% (it's local setting)...what the heck. So If I run my master at 40% in TidalSwell and the slave in anti-sync at 100%, the master can only ever reach 40% power but the slave can reach 100%. Odd.

I'm going to adjust my slave profile to set anti-sync@100% for "normal" modes on the master pump, and then match the master pump's setting for the Ecosmart modes. Curious what that graph will look like - hoping to get the two pumps performing equally over the course of a day.
Hello. Have you reached to a verdict? Thanks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back