Help w/ Bearings Needed (I think?) For 9430 DC Pump

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi @rvitko!

First - for those perusing this thread, please know the damaged equipment below I believe to be a result of lack of additional required maintenance due to running the skimmer on a timer (Roger warned me of this, and I didn't do the maintenance in time!!!). This skimmer is an absolute animal, and is being temporarily replaced by a (non-DC) Tunze Skimmer that I had on hand as a spare.

On to the challenge...

My 9430DC skimmer started making noise, and then stopped after a 'feeding pause' so I could investigate. It would not restart.

I disassembled and cleaned (not the best, but good enough to get a nice look at) the motor block, cooling duct, and drive unit. I made the following observations:

1) The magnetic rotor is scratched badly (presumably by calcium buildup, as you warned), and there is scratching on the underside of the needle-wheel impeller, indicating that it is rotating against the motor block.

IMG_3909.jpeg

2) The impeller needle wheel appears to be almost sitting against the motor block (see scratches, above)

IMG_3910.jpeg

3) The bearing seat molded into the motor block appears to be damaged or misshapen.

IMG_3907.jpeg

My Questions:

1) Can you confirm that the bearing seat molded into the motor block is damaged?

2) Can you confirm the need to replace the drive unit?

3) In the user manual, there appears to be a resolution for a damaged bearing seat.

a) Is the "replacement ceramic bearing" referenced in the text the component illustrated in figure 1?

b) Can you confirm that I (only) need the replacement ceramic bearing and a new drive unit to bring the pump operational?

c) Is the replacement ceramic bearing part number 9430.047_A? If not, what is the correct part number?

d) I am unable to find part number 9430.047_A on the website (I looked through all 82 pages of the spare parts manual). Can you please tell me how to purchase this (assuming I need it)?

IMG_3912.jpeg

Thank you for all of your help as usual my friend!!

Last edited:

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need part 9430.049, it is everything you show and will include the repair bushing which will solve the issue with the damaged bearing seat, this happens when the bearing fuses to the shaft and the spinning bearing melts the plastic from friction heat. 9430.049 is the DC version, 9430.047 is the AC version.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You need part 9430.049, it is everything you show and will include the repair bushing which will solve the issue with the damaged bearing seat, this happens when the bearing fuses to the shaft and the spinning bearing melts the plastic from friction heat. 9430.049 is the DC version, 9430.047 is the AC version.

Thank you so much for your help with this! I saw your post earlier, but am just now getting a chance to respond. I hope you are doing well, and I'm excited to know that it's a relatively easy fix. I would not have found the part without your help.

Kindest Regards - Nathan

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back