Help! Water change error.

Mikeand Mel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 30gal water change on my 58g reef, don’t know what happened but corals not happy.
Tested salinity and found it at 1.032....brought it down to 1.028.
Duncan, torch, green star polyps and trumpets looking bad...retracted so no polyps show.
Just tested other parameters:
Pho’s .34, no3. .75, cal 490, Mg 1250, alk 6.4, ph 7.9
Had some crud on sand bed...sucked it up and added about 1” new esv oolithic sand on top.
Up until water change everything looked great!

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is definitely low. Quite a bit low. Guessing if it is 6.4 AFTER a water change, it was much lower.
I suggest many small water changes in the days to come. Take your time with this.
Plan B is to dose Alk. Slowly, but methodically until you get to a more realistic number.
Best bet is the corals are in shock from having a significantly higher Alk water run across them. Would definitely upset any coral

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

it happens. If you already made the corrections back to your normal range I would no mess with it any further and see what happens

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is definitely low. Quite a bit low. Guessing of it is 6.4 AFTER a water change, it was much lower.
I suggest many small water changes in the days to come. Take your time with this.
Plan B is to dose Alk. Slowly, but methodically until you get to a more realistic number.
Best bet is the corals are in shock from having a significantly higher Alk water run across them. Would definitely upset any coral

I missed the alk, what salt are you using. You alk should have went up with the higher salinity and back down to normal when reduced. Did you double check, I would also check ph to go with alk to be sue. That alk seems really low for just Going to 1.028 . Maybe .022

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a water change of over 50%. Why such a big change? Were you trying to correct a problem?

Typically, I do 20% weekly. On your tank, you could get away with weekly 10 gallon water changes, as long as you are faithful to them.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the rapid salinity change would be of concern.
The other concern is disrupting the sand bed and then adding new sand.
From what I understand this is a no no.

I am in agreement and feel you let it sit and observe with daily small WC to correct parameters.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back