Help! what are these bumps all over my clownfish

  • Thread starter Thread starter shameless
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

shameless

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 28, 2024
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Akron
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Context if it matters. I've had this clownfish for 8 years, I haven't added anything to the aquarium for years. I had somebody feed them for 4 days and came home to food built up all over the aquarium and these spots all over her. They are clustered on her jaw and the fins, with some on the body. The other one has some spots but not nearly as bad. I immediately did a 50% water change and sucked out all of the leftover food. I have plenty of medication just not sure what I am dealing with. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!





IMG_6705.jpeg
IMG_6704.jpeg
 
It looks like lymphocystis, but I’m not sure. Lymphocystis will show up when there is bad water quality (which does seem to match with what happened with food being built in your tank till you cleaned it) But again I don’t really know.
 
Last edited:
It looks like lymphocystis, but I’m not sure. Lymphocystis will show up when there is bad water quality (which does seem to match with what happened with food being built in your tank till you cleaned it) But again I don’t really know.
That's what I was kind of thinking. Thank you for taking a look!!
 
Welcome to the forum!
If not lympho, it could be damage from the clowns fighting each other.
 
This looks like early stage ich to me, lympho would be larger and not so spread out. Ich tends to start showing up on fins like little specs of sand. They will go away and come back stronger in different locations in a couple days.
 
Context if it matters. I've had this clownfish for 8 years, I haven't added anything to the aquarium for years. I had somebody feed them for 4 days and came home to food built up all over the aquarium and these spots all over her. They are clustered on her jaw and the fins, with some on the body. The other one has some spots but not nearly as bad. I immediately did a 50% water change and sucked out all of the leftover food. I have plenty of medication just not sure what I am dealing with. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!





IMG_6705.jpeg
IMG_6704.jpeg
Welcome!

I’ve never seen lymphocystis show up on a long term captive fish before, and clownfish are not super prone to it in any event.

I can’t see clearly enough to rule out ich (a video might help),

I wonder if this is bacterial? That the overfeeding caused a bacterial bloom that is now growing on the fish to the point of being visible?

You should probably repeat your cleaning process of another good bottom siphoning and water change.
 
I see these as bacterial lesions which they often get and best treatment would be Ruby Rally pro OR Seachem neoplex in a separate tank. Ruby does take as much as 3 days to start to take effect
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new