Help with a new tank

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the LFS is to blame for this as well. They sold you a ton of livestock for such a new tank. If they were worth their salt they would not have sold you all your stock at once. We all need some help and guidance when we first start a tank. I hate to hear when LFS’s do these type of things to people starting new tanks.
This is such a rewarding hobby and it takes TONS of patience. Please don’t be discouraged. Just ask as many questions as you can and start researching. The information is endless.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Hunter, Don't feel too bad,.My 1st attempt didn't turn out so well either. If the Lfs tells you something come & ask here also . Good Luck !

OP
OP
ahunter20

ahunter20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks for all the great feedback. I assumed most of my problem was moving to fast. It sounds like I should just keep doing my normal water changes, test for ammonia, continue reducing my nitrates, and wait it out.

I don't know anyone else with a tank, so I have been relying on my LFS. I'm keeping a daily log, reading books, and doing a ton of online research, but it is all just overwhelming.

My last concern...
I obviously have algae blooming (probably Diatoms since it is a new tank and based on the rust color). As side from water changes and monitoring everything, should I be doing anything else to rid the tank of diatoms or just wait that out also?

Thanks again,
-Adam

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, diatoms should just fizzle out as long as u keep up on your water changes and just take it easy to let your tank level out. Then you can start building your reef. It is still always a good idea to get a second opinion other than from a lfs that just seems to be after your money. (Not saying they all do that.) There is a lot of info just on this site alone and I wish I had access to this when I started over 11 years ago. I'm still learning all the time. So if in doubt ask or try a search for it as many, many questions get asked on here. Alot of questions get asked after there is a problem, we've all been there at some point. Don't be discouraged. As alot of people see lovely tanks and think I can do that, then they come across a problem and find the solution to be time consuming and just give up the hobby.
Take it easy and the reef will grow.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, Adam! No worries you are at the right place now. Consider getting some nori (seaweed from the supermarket for human consumption is cheap and will do) and wedging a small piece or two between a couple of your rocks to feed your turbo snails until you get some algae of your own in there to feed them. Hope this helps a bit. Cheers!

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome

I agree with the others your tank was not cycled properly

If i were in your shoes sell all livestock and start over properly
Or keep the livestock in a separate tank with nothing but a couple of hiding spots pieces of pvc pipe works best

Continue doing water changes

Water does not need to be cycled id needs to have 0 nutrients in it we use a system called rodi that filters out all the nutrients and chemicals in our tap water

Lots of good info here

Now that you are part of this forum you know thousands of people with tanks

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 130 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back