Help with BTA Anemone

sam2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I need help. I got an anemone, a coral, and a clownfish yesterday. Our pH levels were 7.5 ish and no nitrate, nitrite, or ammonia levels, salinity was 1.024. I made a mistake on them. I added everything on the same day. I bought LED lights and specific food for the coral and the anemone but they will come a few days later. While the clownfish does look a little stressed, it is eating well. However, the anemone is deflated and I'm worried that it is dying or stressed. I've had freshwater fish for 5 years and we recently changed it to saltwater. I put tap water into the tank and put sea salt into it, I cycled for around 7 days. I have a wave maker and that looks like it is doing a good job. At the shop, it was colorful but now it looks grey. Please help me with this.

Here is a picture:

1707168377159.png

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

i do not believe the light you have there looks sufficient for bubbletip anemone health. Can you share the details of the light fixture?

Tap water is not a great idea to use for saltwater systems, you never know what contaminants, metals etc. are in it. you should really be using RO/DI water.

How long has the tank been set up? Anemones rarely thrive and often don't survive in young systems.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I hope you are doing well.

A couple things.

Like @TX_REEF already said, tap water is not good. This is probably the main reason why your BTA is delfated. It differs for each location, but tap water has things like chlorine, fluoride, mercury, and other heavy metals. This could easily be what is causing it. I would suggest getting a RO/DI filter, but in the meantime, go to your LFS, or somewhere you can get RO/DI water, and do a major water change.

Second, PH is pretty low. Definitely might not be the cause, but if I were you, I would try to raise it. What salt are you using? Generally most aquarium salts raise Ph to upwards of 8, if put in properly.

Could you also try to get a close up of the BTA, preferably in white light?

OP
OP
S

sam2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is newly set up and we have the built in lights that comes with a 29 gallon tank top fin. I’m really new and the tank has been setup for around a week. I took the freshwater gravel out cleaned the tank properly. Then I put substrate on the bottom. Then after that I kept tap water and mixed it with salt. I cycled it with beneficial bacteria for a week. Thank you for replying it really helps a lot. I’m just 16 and me and my dad run the tank. Also what is LFS? The sea salt is Instant Ocean Salt. When I’ll get home I’ll tell you the exact LED lights we are getting. How to exactly do RO/DI water? Will the anemone be fine? And is there other advice you guys can tell me?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is newly set up and we have the built in lights that comes with a 29 gallon tank top fin. I’m really new and the tank has been setup for around a week. I took the freshwater gravel out cleaned the tank properly. Then I put substrate on the bottom. Then after that I kept tap water and mixed it with salt. I cycled it with beneficial bacteria for a week. Thank you for replying it really helps a lot. I’m just 16 and me and my dad run the tank. Also what is LFS? The sea salt is Instant Ocean Salt. When I’ll get home I’ll tell you the exact LED lights we are getting. How to exactly do RO/DI water? Will the anemone be fine? And is there other advice you guys can tell me?
LFS means local fish store.

RO/DI water, stands for reverse osmosis de-ionized water. Basically, in simpler terms, it is just plain water with no chemicals or heavy metals. So I would go to your LFS, (local fish store), and ask if they have RO/DI water in there store, or if they know a place where you can get it. Try not to use tap water ever again.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with others that the tap water and age of tank will not support any coral or anemone. Also would recommend 3 or 4x as much rock as currently have. Need some places for fish to sleep.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how bad your tap water is. Keep an eye on them, and if you notice any symptoms, post them so we can help.

Like I said though, refill your tank with RO/DI water, (with salt), to prevent worse problems.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all! The tank should be at least 6 months old, longer is better for anemones, as they are extremely sensitive. Get an RODI system to install under your kitchen sink, this will be a much appreciated plan down the road due to topping off your tank as water evaporation happens. I would recommend some research before buying any more inhabitants, and maybe seeing if you can take the anemone back to the pet store, just for the sake of its health. You will also need quite a bit more rock . Glad to see young folks getting into this hobby, but it is very expensive and time consuming. A little research will go a long way. But you are on the right space for getting good help nd knowledge. Please don’t get discouraged, this hobby can be daunting, but VERY REWARDING.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other issues mentioned above should be dealt with first, but another serious problem is the rock, or lack thereof. Your biological filter is the rock in your tank - that's what the nitrifying bacteria colonize. Without enough rock, the waste from your fish (both poop and leftover food) will quickly make ammonia levels rise which can injure and/or kill fish and inverts.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sam2216 , please look through the sticky threads in the "New to saltwater..." forum.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I need help. I got an anemone, a coral, and a clownfish yesterday. Our pH levels were 7.5 ish and no nitrate, nitrite, or ammonia levels, salinity was 1.024. I made a mistake on them. I added everything on the same day. I bought LED lights and specific food for the coral and the anemone but they will come a few days later. While the clownfish does look a little stressed, it is eating well. However, the anemone is deflated and I'm worried that it is dying or stressed. I've had freshwater fish for 5 years and we recently changed it to saltwater. I put tap water into the tank and put sea salt into it, I cycled for around 7 days. I have a wave maker and that looks like it is doing a good job. At the shop, it was colorful but now it looks grey. Please help me with this.

Here is a picture:

1707168377159.png
Also, if you have no nitrates, your tank may not actually be cycled...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back