Help with clam

Nathaniellund17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Any thoughts with what’s happening with my clan here? Is it dying. It’s looked like this for just over a day. It doesn’t look close, but it looks as though everything is contracted within the shell.

IMG_1139.jpeg

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Any thoughts with what’s happening with my clan here? Is it dying. It’s looked like this for just over a day. It doesn’t look close, but it looks as though everything is contracted within the shell.

IMG_1139.jpeg
Hello all,

IMG_1139.jpeg
Sorry bro it’s gone

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what fish are in your tank? I'm guessing that something ate it? Is there any flesh inside of it? It looks dead to me unfortunately, sorry.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

IMG_1139.jpeg
What's the history? How long in the tank?

It looks pretty sad, unfortunately.

OP
OP
N

Nathaniellund17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the history? How long in the tank?

It looks pretty sad, unfortunately.
I’ve had it for just over a year. It’s always looked healthy. My water parameters are always in line and consistent, so not quite sure what could have happened. I did recently change my lights to bring in more par… but I used an acclimation period of 50 days with eco tech lights. Went from 100 par to about 140 par (measured with par meter). The acclimation period ended a few weeks back, so didn’t think that would be the issue. I guess sometimes things just die.

OP
OP
N

Nathaniellund17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what fish are in your tank? I'm guessing that something ate it? Is there any flesh inside of it? It looks dead to me unfortunately, sorry.
There weren’t any fish inside of it. I have a few tang’s, wrasses, clown, goby, and blemy. My understanding is all of those would leave it alone… which they have with having it over a year now.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree your clam was healthy, it has new growth on the shell.

Hope others might have some idea's, but for now I'm suspecting a fish ate it.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had it for just over a year. It’s always looked healthy. My water parameters are always in line and consistent, so not quite sure what could have happened. I did recently change my lights to bring in more par… but I used an acclimation period of 50 days with eco tech lights. Went from 100 par to about 140 par (measured with par meter). The acclimation period ended a few weeks back, so didn’t think that would be the issue. I guess sometimes things just die.
Slow starvation at 100 par. Will look healthy and put on new shell for a while but it is slowly using it's energy reserves up and when they are gone that is it..

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow starvation at 100 par. Will look healthy and put on new shell for a while but it is slowly using it's energy reserves up and when they are gone that is it..
My thoughts exactly.
It can take months for them to starve to death from not enough light. My derasa is under 300-350 par and my maxima 350-400. I've heard people say they don't need that much light but my experience has been the opposite. I could not keep a clam alive until I invested in a par meter and found I had been light starving them.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PAR of 150 is too low for a Crocea. Clams die quickly when they don't have enough energy intake, they used all their reserves and then die overnight like your clam. Often, in lower light they hyperextend their mantle to collect more light. Some novice clam keepers mistakenly think that hyperextended mantle as a sign of health, instead of desperate measures for survival.

OP
OP
N

Nathaniellund17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the comments. I thought my lights (4 XR30s) were putting off more par than they were until I got my par meter. I wish there was a better way to learn from these mistakes, rather than seeing livestock perish. Getting better with this hobby over time.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is why I’m not a fan of putting certain species on the sand, especially for new keepers. Crocea, maxima and noae are not and should not be considered beginner clams. Derasa and squamosa are better suited for this, but still require a lot of light. One recurring piece of advice that you’ll see me post is buying James Fatherree’s book on clams (he has a new book out now). These are very complex animals, so their care takes a little more effort and it really stems around proper lighting. In fact, the number one issue with most keepers is proper lighting, it’s where it all starts with clams. Sorry for your loss, it’s tough, but hopefully this will help you as you go forward.

mangolove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing i am noticing is that the clam is on the sand instead of a special clam stone. Also if their feet get hurt they also die.

suggestion for improvement: use a clam stone and sponge power from zeovit, its awesome!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only thing i am noticing is that the clam is on the sand instead of a special clam stone. Also if their feet get hurt they also die.

suggestion for improvement: use a clam stone and sponge power from zeovit, its awesome!
They can live in many spots, but mostly require a solid surface for the most part. Crocea, maxima and noae are generally found imbedded in rock or coral and not on sand or substrate, whereas the larger species are found on reef flats or sandy bottoms. All the larger species lose byssal attachment as they get bigger, as their weight keeps them in place. The surface isn’t the issue here, it’s light or the lack of.

mangolove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing i am noticing is that the clam is on the sand instead of a special clam stone
They can live in many spots, but mostly require a solid surface for the most part. Crocea, maxima and noae are generally found imbedded in rock or coral and not on sand or substrate, whereas the larger species are found on reef flats or sandy bottoms. All the larger species lose byssal attachment as they get bigger, as their weight keeps them in place. The surface isn’t the issue here, it’s light or the lack of.
Thanks for the information! Learning more everyday

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the light is bright enough, sand is fine for all clams. I keep Crocea on the sand, all my clams are on the sand bed. They looks much nicer lower in the tank. Current also lower in my tank near the surface of the sand. Just make sure they have enough light. I often has spot lights to area that I need extra light for the animals. Most of the times, Crocea, Maxima and Noae attaches to something so I often have large rubbles so they attach to these fragments it have to be large enough so they to stay out of the abysmal opening
IMG_6792.jpeg
IMG_6778.jpeg
IMG_5986.jpeg
IMG_5944.png
IMG_0396.jpeg
IMG_0010.jpeg
IMG_8589.jpeg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back