Help with diy sump

fredward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone. I’m working on building out this sump for my new 70gal tank. The sump is 30x14x16, with an interior lip about 1” down from the top. I’m looking to maximize the fuge section. Still trying to figure out baffle height and return pump chamber size. I’m using a Red Sea reefmat so that will be a bulkhead from through the side of the sump, and I’m thinking of combining that and the skimmer section to save space then having this off shape for the fuge. There will be two weirs on the horizontal sections of the baffles, then was thinking of using that extra stiff coarse filter Matt to separate the fuge and return pump section to encourage even flow through the fuge. How do I figure out how tall to make the baffles. I can raise the filter mat and the skimmer to any height as long as I leave room for backflow. Let me know what y’all think!
BA191829-3F0F-480A-96FA-5EFA068CE6C1.jpeg
B9E63BB3-DAB1-45B9-8145-AB5720CD7188.jpeg
161E3B9C-6DE0-4E7B-B60F-35E5FAA96677.jpeg
379AF977-32B2-4FF5-9BBE-93A11F522AA5.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never serviced a roller-mat but difficulties changing rolls is a frequent mention for people that have them. I do have a skimmer, and access for both cup cleaning and roll services should be considered, the position of plumbing, cords, and access inside a cabinet(?) is worth considering. You might be happier with the skimmer in the corner and the rollermat towards the middle, reversing(?) the baffle. (Can't say if this is true or not, just covering thought bases.) The only other thing that I can say is that I like your diagram with the algae growning in the fuge! All in all, it looks like planning is going to make this the best it can be. HTH> :cool:
Kris

OP
OP
fredward

fredward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh yeah I hadn’t yet thought about servicing them. This is the cabinet I’m building
40D3E910-82C5-4E4B-9EEB-88097DE53929.jpeg

I’ve included doors on 3 sides so that should help with maintenance. Although one side will have a partition for the electronics.
Just really need to figure out the baffle height

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah I hadn’t yet thought about servicing them. This is the cabinet I’m building
40D3E910-82C5-4E4B-9EEB-88097DE53929.jpeg

I’ve included doors on 3 sides so that should help with maintenance. Although one side will have a partition for the electronics.
Just really need to figure out the baffle height
You can always make your baffles adjustable.. or even removable with just a couple blocks on the sides to slide a baffle in between them.. it’s easier that way honestly.. ;)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On top of that your tank volume will play a roll.. you wanna have enough space in the sump to allow the display to drain down in the event of a power failure.. this can be figured out by the size of the display and figure out how many gallons of water per inch in the display… same with the sump.. lots of math involved..

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used tank and stand and sump last year and set up a fish tank for the misses. The sump has holes for socks or cups for gross water filtration. They are behind the protein skimmer and the space for reactor(s) making service more of a chore than I like, but it was built well otherwise and works and was crazy inexpensive but you can build something better with planning! GL

OP
OP
fredward

fredward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On top of that your tank volume will play a roll.. you wanna have enough space in the sump to allow the display to drain down in the event of a power failure.. this can be figured out by the size of the display and figure out how many gallons of water per inch in the display… same with the sump.. lots of math involved..
This is what I need help with. The tank is 3’x2’. I guess I just need to figure out where the overflow low lvl is to get the height in inches then I’ll know how many gal to account for, plus a little for the plumbing and match that to a height in the sump?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lxwxh divided by 231. That give’s you the gallons in the tank.. say it’s 20 gallons.. your tank is 10” tall that means for each inch of water it’s 2 gallons… if that makes sense.. find the lowest part of the over flow and do your math. The sump will do the same. LxWxH divide by 231 and figure out the gallons.. where you set the baffles will be your water line so you can see the empty space above them and figure out how many more gallons of water it can hold… hopefully that makes sense haha! If not just lmk..

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back