Help with elegance

fishynate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is my elegance dead/beyond saving? Newish to hobby - tank about 4 months old. I’ve had the elegance for a month - it came in looking healthy but quickly developed some tissue recession after an auto-feeder fail spiked my ammonia to 0.2. Brought that down with frequent water changes but the coral never really bounced back to healthy and I saw it expelling that brown filament (zooxanthelae, I think).
After reading some about the fresh water dip, and seeing it get worse/more retracted I gave it a try 5 days ago - 12 minutes in temperature matched rodi. i thought it might be turning the corner afterward, opening up a bit more, a little more polyp movement. but this morning one half seems inflated with little/no polyp movement and the other half seems less inflated but equally motionless..
32 gallon tank Fluval
1.026 salinity (spiked to 1.027 last night and corrected with rodi over 4 hours)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Phos and nitrate o (started dosing np+ and being slightly more generous with my feeding a week ago to bring these up)
Alk 7.8 (also gently raising)
Cal 440
Mag 1500

Do I call it and get it out of the tank before it decays or is it salvageable? The rest of the corals/fish look ok…the big tank shot is last night. Close up the elegance from this morning…

3986F785-8F81-4801-BA87-40E6CCBC1CED.jpeg 058D3709-8183-4589-8A4D-0DCBA876D87C.jpeg

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave it alone and give it time. Stability is the key - the flesh itself (other than being generally unhappy looking currently) looks solid enough and not mushy for example. I personally would leave it in the tank.
I don't see brown around the lip, so I'm not sure if freshwater or iodine dips are needed at this time.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is my elegance dead/beyond saving? Newish to hobby - tank about 4 months old. I’ve had the elegance for a month - it came in looking healthy but quickly developed some tissue recession after an auto-feeder fail spiked my ammonia to 0.2. Brought that down with frequent water changes but the coral never really bounced back to healthy and I saw it expelling that brown filament (zooxanthelae, I think).
After reading some about the fresh water dip, and seeing it get worse/more retracted I gave it a try 5 days ago - 12 minutes in temperature matched rodi. i thought it might be turning the corner afterward, opening up a bit more, a little more polyp movement. but this morning one half seems inflated with little/no polyp movement and the other half seems less inflated but equally motionless..
32 gallon tank Fluval
1.026 salinity (spiked to 1.027 last night and corrected with rodi over 4 hours)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Phos and nitrate o (started dosing np+ and being slightly more generous with my feeding a week ago to bring these up)
Alk 7.8 (also gently raising)
Cal 440
Mag 1500

Do I call it and get it out of the tank before it decays or is it salvageable? The rest of the corals/fish look ok…the big tank shot is last night. Close up the elegance from this morning…

3986F785-8F81-4801-BA87-40E6CCBC1CED.jpeg 058D3709-8183-4589-8A4D-0DCBA876D87C.jpeg
Very unhappy and stressed
They need good lighting at medium intensity for production of zooxanthellae and feedings of mysis shrimp or chopped krill at least 2x per week
Assure nitrate-salinity- temperature-phosphate and slk aren’t elevated and that calcium is not too low

Upvote 0

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elegance corals starve easIly. Feed with fluid foods such as aas and vitamins and target feed reef roids.
Do not do anything that may affect the stability of any parameters. Especialy KH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fishynate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help! I do feed with Red Sea coral AB+ alternating with reef roids and have been target feeding the elegance for about 2 weeks. I’ve tried to feed frozen mysis but it never “takes” it. Dosing np+ but having trouble increasing my nitrate/phosphate - maybe I will turn down the photoperiod on the ‘fuge or harvest some chaeto.
Again - thanks to all for your replies and advice!

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back