Help with flow please

Onajoyride

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 20, 2019
Messages
41
Reaction score
37
What state or country do you live in
Oregon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a 75gal wwc/hybrid style sps dominated tank 36Lx24Wx20D with a 30 gal sump. What type of pump should I look at for in tank flow? Mp40 or a Gyre? Here is a pic of the basic rockwork so you get a feel for what I'm working with. Thank you for your help.

20191018_130550.jpg
 
You doing bare bottom?

If you want to limit it to one pump, I'd personally do the gyre with that wide footprint.

I do love vortechs though, but I think the gyre will cover the footprint of your tank better.

Just my .02
 
You doing bare bottom?

If you want to limit it to one pump, I'd personally do the gyre with that wide footprint.

I do love vortechs though, but I think the gyre will cover the footprint of your tank better.

Just my .02

Gyre would work. Possible adding a mp10 down the road for more flow as it grows in.
 
Yes bare bottom. I'm open to more than one pump but more curious as to the best starter option and then supplement with another type/placement as it grows in. I think an mp would be awesome but the glass is too thick and the smallest I can run is an mp40. So Gyre sounds best, which one would be the best to start with an eye of adding another gyre on the opposite side down the road?
 
You doing bare bottom?

If you want to limit it to one pump, I'd personally do the gyre with that wide footprint.

I do love vortechs though, but I think the gyre will cover the footprint of your tank better.

Just my .02

x 2.....
 
Yes bare bottom. I'm open to more than one pump but more curious as to the best starter option and then supplement with another type/placement as it grows in. I think an mp would be awesome but the glass is too thick and the smallest I can run is an mp40. So Gyre sounds best, which one would be the best to start with an eye of adding another gyre on the opposite side down the road?

Yep or like I said, mp10's as need for more chaotic flow patterns.
 
Thx guys. Do mp10 work with 1/2" thick glass? Ecotech says they dont. That would be perfect to do an mp10 for behind the rock flow with a gyre up top.
 
Thx guys. Do mp10 work with 1/2" thick glass? Ecotech says they dont. That would be perfect to do an mp10 for behind the rock flow with a gyre up top.

Dang, 1/2". Might have to go with a smaller gyre if it will work with 1/2".
 
You can always go with a MP40 and turn it down. I have a MP10 along with a MP40 and the MP10 has a hard time stay on 3/8 glass.
 
marking this. Was thinking about getting a gyre and mp40. Gyre would be placed on left glass: pushing water from left to right. the mp40 I would put it on the back right push water from the back to front glass.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new