HELP!!! WITH HAMMER PRICING (:

Exotic_Reefer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So at my local pet store they are selling this Hammer. It's almost like a blue? And the other is like brownish kinda. Anyways it's one frag!! Which I think is awesome. They're asking $100 for it and labeled it as a marbled hammer, but I dont think its a marbled. I found a similar hammer on another site that remind me of it. How much do you think is a good price for it
20200214_135534.jpg
? I'll post pics. Screenshot_20200215-220230_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
OP
Exotic_Reefer0

Exotic_Reefer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good price is whatever you are willing to pay for it.
Eh. You wouldnt pay $100 for gsp would you? Especially sense gsp is common and even if you were "willing". But thanks for the response. I'm looking for the average price of this kind of hammer. Do you know it?

Last edited:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh. You wouldnt pay $100 for gsp would you? Especially sense gsp is common and even if you were "willing". But thanks for the response. I'm looking for the average price of this kind of hammer. Do you know it?
Honestly there is no “average”.
I’ve seen some local people sell all euphyllia at a minimum of $50/per head and seen others sells frags with 5 heads for $50 total.
The price is whatever they wanna charge and can get...

Someone will most likely pay $100 for that piece, so that’s the price

OP
OP
Exotic_Reefer0

Exotic_Reefer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen some local people sell all euphyllia at a minimum of $50/per head and seen others sells frags with 5 heads for $50 total.

Gotcha! This was helpful! Do you think this is a marbled hammer like they're saying?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So at my local pet store they are selling this Hammer. It's almost like a blue? And the other is like brownish kinda. Anyways it's one frag!! Which I think is awesome. They're asking $100 for it and labeled it as a marbled hammer, but I dont think its a marbled. I found a similar hammer on another site that remind me of it. How much do you think is a good price for it
20200214_135534.jpg
? I'll post pics. Screenshot_20200215-220230_Samsung Internet.jpg

It really is an unfair practice to compare online pricing to pricing at a LFS. The two are entirely different business models. I'm not trying to harp on you. Simply pointing out that what a good price point for one is often very bad for the other.

FWIW - $100 for the hammer, at a LFS, is not a bad price.

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I always find it crazy when I see a bleached out hammer for $100+ at pet stores but then i can buy a nice 4 headed hammer from a local keeper for $15.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! Appreciate it!
Not gonna lie, that’s way overpriced. That’s not a “marbled” hammer. That’s some made up name to sell it for a higher price. As for one being brown, that means it was in too little light. The one on the left looks like a common neon green hammer. They don’t even look that healthy imho. I wouldn’t pay over $40 for them regardless of size.

OP
OP
Exotic_Reefer0

Exotic_Reefer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not gonna lie, that’s way overpriced. That’s not a “marbled” hammer. That’s some made up name to sell it for a higher price. As for one being brown, that means it was in too little light. The one on the left looks like a common neon green hammer. They don’t even look that healthy imho. I wouldn’t pay over $40 for them regardless of size.
The response I was looking for, thank you for your knowledge!!

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indo also just opened back up. I would wait about 3-6 months. Euphyllia prices will be much lower. I’m waiting for the $100 ph gold torches ;Hilarious

OP
OP
Exotic_Reefer0

Exotic_Reefer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hell i just broke off two 50 head colonies off off my 300 head colony and will get rid of the 50 head colonies for 100.00 its what the person is willing to pay for it
Brother don’t pay that! I’d pay $10-15 max for a head!

If it’s at your LFS, wait until it starts to die and then ask for a cheaper price. LFS in my Area suck when it comes to keeping coral alive.

that’s your common hammer.
Mine does too to be honest, they blast the lights up high to get more color out and end up bleaching them. All to just sell them faster. But I'm not gonna buy it haha. I was just curious to see what other people thought of the pricing on it

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brother don’t pay that! I’d pay $10-15 max for a head!

If it’s at your LFS, wait until it starts to die and then ask for a cheaper price. LFS in my Area suck when it comes to keeping coral alive.

that’s your common hammer.

Bad advice (wait for it to start dying. It's a single head and once it starts it's 99% likely it'll die). Wait for it to begin to die then have the person asking this question to just likely throw money await? The OP seems to be kinda new to the hobby (could be mistaken), please think about what you say to someone that seems new. #1 reason new hobbyist do not make it is poor advice and no mentor that understand the hobby somewhat.

If you like the hammer and it fits what you want for your tank, then buy it. If it doesn't fit what you want, keep it moving. Do not haggle the LFS on the price. They priced it that way for a reason. If you buy lots from them and have a repertoire with them, then maybe. Otherwise, just let it be and find something you are willing to pay for at the asking price.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad advice (wait for it to start dying. It's a single head and once it starts it's 99% likely it'll die). Wait for it to begin to die then have the person asking this question to just likely throw money await because they seem to be kinda new to the hobby (could be mistaken).

If you like the hammer and it fits what you want for your tank, then buy it. If it doesn't fit what you want, keep it moving. Do not haggle the LFS on the price. They priced it that way for a reason. If you buy lots from them and have a repertoire with them, then maybe. Otherwise, just let it be and find something you are willing to pay for at the asking price.
It doesn’t hurt to ask though. Some lfs’s ask high prices to have cushion from negotiating ;)

OP
OP
Exotic_Reefer0

Exotic_Reefer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad advice (wait for it to start dying. It's a single head and once it starts it's 99% likely it'll die). Wait for it to begin to die then have the person asking this question to just likely throw money await? The OP seems to be kinda new to the hobby (could be mistaken), please think about what you say to someone that seems new. #1 reason new hobbyist do not make it is poor advice and no mentor that understand the hobby somewhat.

Just to clear things up, I am new haha. But I appreciate everyone's responses. Everyone has their way of doing things.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Negative, been in the hobby for fifteen years.
First off, not wrong, you can nurse a hammer back to health if it hasn’t completely died off. If a hammer is dying out there’s no 99% chance it will die. There’s also no scientific stat for that too. If you can provide this, I’d apologize.

You’re correct though, my advice would be bad because no one wants to see a Coral die, but if your LFS will end up slowly killing Coral, which most do. You can get them for dirt cheap. I’d personally pay $20 to nurse a hammer back to health than pay $100 for something that’s over priced.

I’ve nursed three( I Never buy hammers unless they’re local from someone or dirt cheap) in my life back to health, all made a full recovery. Now if you’re saying only 1% will make it, then I guess I’m the only one who can do this??? No, many do this. I’d be glad to take the award though!

OP
OP
Exotic_Reefer0

Exotic_Reefer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Negative, been in the hobby for fifteen years.
First off, not wrong, you can nurse a hammer back to health if it hasn’t completely died off. If a hammer is dying out there’s no 99% chance it will die. There’s also no scientific stat for that too. If you can provide this, I’d apologize.

You’re correct though, my advice would be bad because no one wants to see a Coral die, but if your LFS will end up slowly killing Coral, which most do. You can get them for dirt cheap. I’d personally pay $20 to nurse a hammer back to health than pay $100 for something that’s over priced.

I’ve nursed three( I Never buy hammers unless they’re local from someone or dirt cheap) in my life back to health, all made a full recovery. Now if you’re saying only 1% will make it, then I guess I’m the only one who can do this??? No, many do this. I’d be glad to take the award though!
It's also a learning experience for me! I'm new, but capable. I dont think ima buy it though haha. Btw I already have other corals so i mean i have some experience I guess. Frogspawn, toadstool, utter chaos, sunny d, duncan, gsp, montipora, flower anemone (2), andddd a rainbow bubble tip! My goal is to grow it out and sell to the locals lol. But that'll be a different thread in a year or so

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 49.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 56 54.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.8%
Back