Help with Hanna salinity meter

dlh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I try and calibrate the meter using Hanna solution I keep getting "Err". Any advice on how to not get an "Err" will be greatly appreciated. All my fish died and I took a water sample to my LfS and the salinity was 1.037!u

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re getting an error message during calibration then it’s not getting the reading it suspects. I’ve copied the calibration steps below and they work for me.

1. Cut open the calibration solution sachet
  2. Press POWER button
  3. Press CAL button
  4. Salinity Meter will display CAL then 35.00 USE
  5. Inset meter all the way into the calibration sachet; tap to dislodge air bubbles
  6. Metter will display STOR when calibration is complete
  7. Rinse the meter in RO/DI water before taking measurements
Maybe you’re having an issue with air bubbles when you put the meter into the calibration sachet. I’ve heard that can be an issue

OP
OP
D

dlh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re getting an error message during calibration then it’s not getting the reading it suspects. I’ve copied the calibration steps below and they work for me.

1. Cut open the calibration solution sachet
  2. Press POWER button
  3. Press CAL button
  4. Salinity Meter will display CAL then 35.00 USE
  5. Inset meter all the way into the calibration sachet; tap to dislodge air bubbles
  6. Metter will display STOR when calibration is complete
  7. Rinse the meter in RO/DI water before taking measurements
Maybe you’re having an issue with air bubbles when you put the meter into the calibration sachet. I’ve heard that can be an issue
Thanks but, this is exactly what I am doing and have no air bubbles

hja99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but, this is exactly what I am doing and have no air bubbles
I don't know how old your meter is, but my wife got me a Hanna salinity meter for Father's Day last year as part of a "Professional Reef Test Kit." I could not get the meter to calibrate, no matter what I did. I read and re-read the instructions, watched the YouTube videos etc. and nothing worked. I went through eight or nine calibration solution packs and finally contacted Hanna instruments via email. Again, mine was new and would have still been under warranty, but I receive a reply from Hanna within a day. They asked for my address and sent me a new meter that arrived within a week. The new meter calibrated the first time with no problems. Really great customer service from Hanna. If yours is not that old, I would suggest contacting Hanna Instruments. Good luck.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are very unreliable. I learned the hard way after I lost a lot of coral due to me using that tester. Throw it away and get a Tropic Marin hydrometer and never look back.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are very unreliable. I learned the hard way after I lost a lot of coral due to me using that tester. Throw it away and get a Tropic Marin hydrometer and never look back.
I have both and they are both off from icp, but if kept clean and stored away correctly, they both work for hobby level accuracy.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use mine but just for quick checks mostly when mixing salt as I can check temp at the same time. Mine has been consistent but consistent is 0.02 lower than either of my refractometers. Its convenient but I do not trust it as my only form of measuring SG. I haven't calibrated it since I got a year or more ago.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wondered about hydrometers. They are calibrated to work at a specific temperatures right? Or is there a way to adjust for temp differences

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SAME! I did a water change about a month ago and used it to test the water I was adding.. Mixed it to 35 ppt, did the WC, tested the tank and it was low.. like really low.. I thought impossible.

Dug out and calibrated the old refractometer, tank was at like 48ppt because the calibration was so far off, the water I added when I did my WC must have been like 60+

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use mine mainly to check the consistency of my LFS water versus an absolute figure. Their water is mixed to 1.025 and my Hanna meter always reads it at 1.023. As long as this matches my DT I'm good to go.

Recently a fresh mix read 1.028 but my DT was still 1.023. I mentioned this my LFS just out of courtesy and sure enough, when they checked, they realised that a batch was mixed a little strong.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wondered about hydrometers. They are calibrated to work at a specific temperatures right? Or is there a way to adjust for temp differences

Yes. There are calculators and charts available. 0.00019 S.G. / °F Approx formula

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

For any Hanna Instruments questions, please email: [email protected].
For something like a potentially faulty Salinity Meter, we can definitely help you out!
Like someone else in this thread mentioned - because we do not know the root of the issue for your situation, we will likely start by replacing your checker and asking you to send yours in so we can take a look.

All the Best,
Isaiah @ Hanna

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back