Help with ID

  • Thread starter Thread starter Phildago
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Phildago

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 11, 2019
Messages
854
Reaction score
909
Location
Broad Channel
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

I've had this coral for awhile now and it's done great in my tank. Amazing color, does well in any well lit area of the tank regardless of flow, and I've fragged it a few times to spread the wealth throughout the tank.

The thing is I've never been able to ID it and the owner of the store I bought it from didn't have one for me either.

It likes to encrust but does definitely grow branches. The branches are very thick.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.
Screenshot_20191102-224809_Photos.jpg
 
It’s definitely currently green, whatever it is
 
Agree with above, need to see some branch structure.
 
I hope these pics can help. I pretty much fragged all the branches because of how it was occluding the view of a few other corals.

Screenshot_20191103-154041_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191103-154034_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191103-154028_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191103-154021_Gallery.jpg
 
Picture quality isnt that good but from what I can see, I'd start referencing it with Acropora glauca, A. retusa or A. globiceps
 
Picture quality isnt that good but from what I can see, I'd start referencing it with Acropora glauca, A. retusa or A. globiceps
so far acropora samoensis seems to be the closes i could find. The corallites are not prominent not tubular and the branches are irregular and thick.
 
so far acropora samoensis seems to be the closes i could find. The corallites are not prominent not tubular and the branches are irregular and thick.
A. samoensis is pretty much the opposite as you describe, as samoensis has tubular raidal corallites, again though, it's all mostly base and you pics are fuzzy, so your eyes are better than mine here




Screenshot_20191103-180102_Chrome.jpg
 
Is there any method to searching by morphology? I'm a newbe at correctly describing structure, but can't corallite structure vary depending on whether they are at the base or on a branch?
 
A. samoensis is pretty much the opposite as you describe, as samoensis has tubular raidal corallites, again though, it's all mostly base and you pics are fuzzy, so your eyes are better than mine here




Screenshot_20191103-180102_Chrome.jpg
As seen bellow, some of the corallites do seem tubular.
20191103_200511.jpg 20191103_200454.jpg
 
Unfortunately there really isnt a way to search by morphological traits, you basically look towards species that you know share similar traits and go from there.
Again, need some new growth/branch formation to really get a more accurate ID.

Yes radial corallites can become more prominent/less prominent towards the tips/base of branches vise versa depending on species, samoensis is actually one where they become more prominent towards the base, where as with A. glauca/ A. retusa its opposite, their radials become more appressed/ compacted looking towards the base.

Again, cannot confidently ID without seeing branch structure/new growth. I can only give you suggestions as to where I would start referencing and look at similar species.

Hope this helps

A. glauca

Screenshot_20191104-080547_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191104-080750_Chrome.jpg
 
I do think it helps a bit, but it's pretty clear that I'll have to wait until it grows out a bit more in order to properly identify its morphology.

I really appreciate the assistance and your expertise
 
I do think it helps a bit, but it's pretty clear that I'll have to wait until it grows out a bit more in order to properly identify its morphology.

I really appreciate the assistance and your expertise

Well I dont know about "expertise" as I'm far from an expert.

But I'm glad I could provide a little guidance. Hope it does well for you!
 
Well I dont know about "expertise" as I'm far from an expert.

But I'm glad I could provide a little guidance. Hope it does well for you!
LOL I'm not sure about that. You've helped me a few times now, and I've seen your methodical approach on quite a few posts.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new