Help with LED light settings

Elle22

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 18, 2017
Messages
112
Reaction score
43
Location
Illinois
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I am newer to the saltwater hobby, and currently have my first tank running. I have had it running since January, but only started to put corals in it about a month ago. I have a very healthy torch coral in there, that has lost the majority of its color. The entire thing was once neon green, now only the base holds the same color, and the "tentacles" as my brother calls them are now a pale brown color. I know it is not brown jelly disease, and I can see that the coral is doing well because it has grown out quite a bit and has great extension. But, I wonder if the color loss might be coming from my LED lights.

I have the JBJ Orion LT-150 light, that came with my all in one tank. It is all LED, and you can manage the percent of white and blue light output (for example 20% white 80% blue, 70% white 90% blue etc.). I have had it on one of the preset settings, but I do not know if it is the best for coral growth and color. I have the ability to customize a schedule for the light so it can put out a certain amount of each color at a given time, the entire day.

I know blue light is better for coral growth, but how much of it should I use? How much white light should I be using? Should I have mainly blue lights going into my tank, or only blue lights? Any guidance would be great!

I am getting into slightly harder corals, and would like to make sure my light is serving them well. Thanks!
 
What's your nutrient level? high nutrients can Brown out corals
 
All nutrient levels are in check
 
Would doing more water changes help?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new