Help with LED light settings

Elle22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I am newer to the saltwater hobby, and currently have my first tank running. I have had it running since January, but only started to put corals in it about a month ago. I have a very healthy torch coral in there, that has lost the majority of its color. The entire thing was once neon green, now only the base holds the same color, and the "tentacles" as my brother calls them are now a pale brown color. I know it is not brown jelly disease, and I can see that the coral is doing well because it has grown out quite a bit and has great extension. But, I wonder if the color loss might be coming from my LED lights.

I have the JBJ Orion LT-150 light, that came with my all in one tank. It is all LED, and you can manage the percent of white and blue light output (for example 20% white 80% blue, 70% white 90% blue etc.). I have had it on one of the preset settings, but I do not know if it is the best for coral growth and color. I have the ability to customize a schedule for the light so it can put out a certain amount of each color at a given time, the entire day.

I know blue light is better for coral growth, but how much of it should I use? How much white light should I be using? Should I have mainly blue lights going into my tank, or only blue lights? Any guidance would be great!

I am getting into slightly harder corals, and would like to make sure my light is serving them well. Thanks!

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your nutrient level? high nutrients can Brown out corals

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back