Help with lighting

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. We are currently upgrading our lighting combo from a 4 T5X39 watt fixture to a DIY ATI imitation with 8x39 T5. These include
3 blue plus
2 coral
1 purple
2 actinic
The tank is a 300 liter 1mX42X 55 (height) tank with live rock, fish and a few soft corals which we would like to increase and maybe add a few sps as well. What do you think? Will this be enough or too much and what lighting schedule would you suggest (how many hours and what kind of sequence for thw bulbs). Thanks for any input

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that should be adequate lighting, even for SPS. With that amount of lighting, spotting SPS nearer the lights will ensure adequate PAR.

The bulb selection will depend on how blue/purple you like the tank to look. My first impression of the proposed bulb selection is that it would look more purple than I'd like with all of the blues and purples on the list, but I have no idea what color the Coral lamps provide. If that is a whiter color, it may help balance out the blues and purples.

I wish I could give input on lighting sequence and duration. I think you will likely have more than enough lighting to begin with, so shorter photoperiods ramping up to longer durations will be the way to go. You could have the more purple/blue lamps come on first and go off last to better simulation sunrise/sunset with the whiter bulbs in play during the peak of the photoperiod. That would provide an aesthetic effect while potentially avoiding too much PAR too quickly.

Just some thoughts.

OP
OP
E

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that should be adequate lighting, even for SPS. With that amount of lighting, spotting SPS nearer the lights will ensure adequate PAR.

The bulb selection will depend on how blue/purple you like the tank to look. My first impression of the proposed bulb selection is that it would look more purple than I'd like with all of the blues and purples on the list, but I have no idea what color the Coral lamps provide. If that is a whiter color, it may help balance out the blues and purples.

I wish I could give input on lighting sequence and duration. I think you will likely have more than enough lighting to begin with, so shorter photoperiods ramping up to longer durations will be the way to go. You could have the more purple/blue lamps come on first and go off last to better simulation sunrise/sunset with the whiter bulbs in play during the peak of the photoperiod. That would provide an aesthetic effect while potentially avoiding too much PAR too quickly.

Just some thoughts.
Thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back