Help with load overflow

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I finally cranked on my return pump and thankfully nothing leaked, but I have a new problem.

My overflow is loud. VERY loud. Both the drain and the intake have some issues.

I managed to curb the waterfall sound from the intake slots to an acceptable level by putting some sponge in the spots where it was splashing. Now my issue is the drain.

My drain has a constant wooshing sound, like water rushing through it. It's not the gurgle of a siphon being broken; I can reproduce that noise by blocking the hole on the top of my durso drain. I think my return pump is a little too powerful. Is there anything I can do to fix that, or am I out several hundred dollars cos I got upsold on the pump? :( Could it be something else?

Thanks a ton in advance for the help.

EDIT: "Load"... that's what I get for posting before I have coffee

Last edited:

Rhydder_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a valve on your return line?? If so, reduce the return flow to even out the water. You have water "returning" faster than it is draining. Slowly close the return valve untill it levels out. Your drain line should be fully open and adjust with return line.

OP
OP
Mkvc

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a return valve but I'll try to add one this weekend.

Did some more investigating and a lot of the noise is actually coming from where the sump receives the water; it's got a waterfall in it too. So I can also do something from that end.

Rhydder_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is you drain pipe above or below the water line in your sump and does it have a filter sock on it? Putting the drain line below the water line and/or having a sock will help with noise.
For adding a valve on the drain line; it's always good to have valves and unions on your plumbing but your drain line should stay fully open. Only use the valve on that line for emergency. Leveling your water should be done with the "return" valve.

OP
OP
Mkvc

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's above the waterline, kind of. I have a Tideline 36''. The drains are plumbed into the top and there is some tubing to drop it about halfway down. Filling the sump a bit more so that there wasn't a drop off helped a lot.

Thanks, I think adding a valve on my return will get it down to a hum.

Rhydder_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's above the waterline, kind of. I have a Tideline 36''. The drains are plumbed into the top and there is some tubing to drop it about halfway down. Filling the sump a bit more so that there wasn't a drop off helped a lot.

Thanks, I think adding a valve on my return will get it down to a hum.
No problem!
If you're able to add valves or redo the plumbing I would add as many unions as I could. Unions are your friend when it comes to plumbing.

Back