Help with Long Nosed Butterfly

Coach v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this little long nose butterfly fish on Tuesday. He looked good minus being a little skinny. He is an aggressive eater though and has eaten everything from live bbs, frozen, to pellets and flake.

As we were getting ready for a weekend away from the littles on Friday, I noticed the little nub on his dorsal fin. Get home today and he now has white spots.

He is in my
20230618_211843.jpg
20230618_211840.jpg
20230618_211833.jpg
20230618_211801.jpg
qt/observation tank with several black mollies. I have the following at hand:

Erythromycin
Prazipro
Methylene Blue
Nitrofuracin Green Powder

I can make it down the mountain to my favorite lfs on Tuesday. I would perfer to do medicated baths, but have 2 spare 10 gallon tanks ready for qt.

What is my best course of action?

Boreas_SA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it might be Lymphocystis. It is a viral disease and no medication will help, normally goes away on its own when their immune system recovers from the stress of shipping and being held in less than ideal conditions at supplier.

Boreas_SA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, I'm talking about the nub on the dorsal fin, the spots looks like white spot (Cryptocaryon) and there are a few options available to deal with it (tank transfer, copper, hyposalinity etc).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this little long nose butterfly fish on Tuesday. He looked good minus being a little skinny. He is an aggressive eater though and has eaten everything from live bbs, frozen, to pellets and flake.

As we were getting ready for a weekend away from the littles on Friday, I noticed the little nub on his dorsal fin. Get home today and he now has white spots.

He is in my
20230618_211843.jpg
20230618_211840.jpg
20230618_211833.jpg
20230618_211801.jpg
qt/observation tank with several black mollies. I have the following at hand:

Erythromycin
Prazipro
Methylene Blue
Nitrofuracin Green Powder

I can make it down the mountain to my favorite lfs on Tuesday. I would perfer to do medicated baths, but have 2 spare 10 gallon tanks ready for qt.

What is my best course of action?

Agreed that the growth on the dorsal fin is either Lymphocystis or a broken fin ray (common when you catch these fish). The other smaller spots are the concern - some of the spots on the head are pretty large, but the small ones on the fins look like marine ich.

All new fish should be quarantined for ich and flukes. I prefer copper and praziquantel, but hyposalinity also works. I don't use TTM because is only treats for ich, and is pretty rough on new fish, bouncing them from tank to tank like that.

Here is a thread I started on hyposalinity:

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As tempting as it may be, avoid buying thin fish and if you feel you must, ask to see it eat and find out what its eating. Also view fish for any skin imperfections, heavy breathing and even how it coexists with other fish in the tank with it.
A thin fish may be one in need of food, or ill or based on method of capture which may be by use of chemicals which you dont want

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 161 73.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 36 16.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back