Help with monti

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Joined
Feb 11, 2019
Messages
20,708
Reaction score
33,684
Location
Ashland Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this monti a few weeks ago. It wasn't super colorful but it did have light shade of reddish purple some grean and kind of gold around the rim. It has a bunch of small polyp out but the color is gone. I'm wondering if it is too little light or maybe too much tho I doubt the later. It's under gen 4 xr15 radions but I have them pretty low as I'm acclimating some other coral. Just wondering should I crank up the light it is under? Its kind of brown which I think means too much light but yet it's almost white in areas like bleaching which is too much light from my understanding. Just a little confused as to what I should do for it. There is plenty of flow so nothing settles on it.

20210718_150958.jpg
 
Blow gently with a turkey baster. It appears to have a film of diatoms or similar on it which may notate a flow issue in your tank
Light is also a factor as it allows the coral to produce zooxanthelle which gives it its color
 
A bit of powdery substance came off and I was able to redirect my return outlet so it is now pushing water almost directly on the monti . I'll begin cranking the lights up over the next week or so. Thanks for the input.
 
Montipora are very good at detritus catching, so I’d make sure to have a bit more flow and blow it off occasionally. Params might also be a factor, what are they? - kali
 
Alk 8.1 cal 430 pH 8.3 (tested in the evening is ussualy 8ish in the am) sg 1.025 nitrates around 15. I don't normally test mag or phos unless everything is looking bad. It really was looking bad so I moved it to my sump chamber that kinda serves as a coral hospital. Have a small power head right on it and a black box light that everything seems to thrive under that I place there. Playing the waiting game now.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 59 33.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new