Help with monti

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this monti a few weeks ago. It wasn't super colorful but it did have light shade of reddish purple some grean and kind of gold around the rim. It has a bunch of small polyp out but the color is gone. I'm wondering if it is too little light or maybe too much tho I doubt the later. It's under gen 4 xr15 radions but I have them pretty low as I'm acclimating some other coral. Just wondering should I crank up the light it is under? Its kind of brown which I think means too much light but yet it's almost white in areas like bleaching which is too much light from my understanding. Just a little confused as to what I should do for it. There is plenty of flow so nothing settles on it.

20210718_150958.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Blow gently with a turkey baster. It appears to have a film of diatoms or similar on it which may notate a flow issue in your tank
Light is also a factor as it allows the coral to produce zooxanthelle which gives it its color

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of powdery substance came off and I was able to redirect my return outlet so it is now pushing water almost directly on the monti . I'll begin cranking the lights up over the next week or so. Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk 8.1 cal 430 pH 8.3 (tested in the evening is ussualy 8ish in the am) sg 1.025 nitrates around 15. I don't normally test mag or phos unless everything is looking bad. It really was looking bad so I moved it to my sump chamber that kinda serves as a coral hospital. Have a small power head right on it and a black box light that everything seems to thrive under that I place there. Playing the waiting game now.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back