Help with noise in sump

drknudsenx2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to fix my overflow trickling noise, and I widened the hole on the top of the Durso so for the most part that is pretty quiet besides mild noise of water trickling through the weir.
Now I’m getting what I think is the gurgling where water rushes through the piping and out into the sump. I’ve read a lot of threads and I’m still not sure how to go about fixing it. My pump flow rate is fairly low right now.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe some hints in a thread like this one:

"I’m don’t have a PhD in Fluid Dynamics, but i am pretty sure the noise you’re getting is due to air being in the drain line. Since the durso must be vented, the line will always have air in it, and will always have some noise. Velocity would just aggravate this turbulent interface between the air and water, but practically speaking it will always be noisy at any flows we’d care about in our tanks. The only way to evacuate the air is to convert the line to a full siphon w/ a gate valve, but then you definitely want that emergency overflow line in case of snails, long term buildup, etc. I suppose one alternative to the emergency drain would be to put a leak sensor with some logic in a controller to kill your return pump if the level gets too high. "

Hypan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used reverse dursos on a few tanks in the past to quiet it down a bit.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back