Help with picking a mantis shrimp

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after careful consideration i’ve decided to setup a mantis shrimp tank. I have a temporary 20g with caves for him/her to get used to associating me with food before moving to a larger tank. I’ve experienced several different tiny fish and inverts dying off after being too scared to venture out and find food.

So the seller has two mantis shrimps available one being 2.5 inch and the other almost 6 inches. There are not a lot of info on how to pick a good mantis shrimp. Im not sure which will be hardier, the smaller or the larger one. And if anyone can help me identify what they are.

Here are the picks when they first came in:
Smaller one:
9BC87479-329B-4E72-93E8-4DAC84057561.jpeg

Larger one:
4869920F-41E0-4B60-8DD9-B3E19E2309F4.jpeg

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thinking the smaller one would be a good idea for the current tank size, but would smaller ones be harder to feed/keep track of?

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the smaller one due to the 20g tank. It won’t be hard to keep track of once you start feeding, also from what I “hear”, so take this next comment with a grain of salt. The molts are easier on the smaller mantis than the larger. Mine ended up passing due to a bad molt and he was ove 6 inches. (Not saying all large mantis will pass due to molting, or a small one won’t. Please don’t misinterpret)

I was always proactive at keeping my little buddy alive, clean water, ***good acclamation***. I had a mantis pass due to my ignorance on how well they need to be acclimated. But I hear of these little hitchhikers on live rock living, and I know they didn’t get acclimated right. Which’s leaves me to believe that the smaller mantis are just hardier.

Hope this helps some.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the smaller one due to the 20g tank. It won’t be hard to keep track of once you start feeding, also from what I “hear”, so take this next comment with a grain of salt. The molts are easier on the smaller mantis than the larger. Mine ended up passing due to a bad molt and he was ove 6 inches. (Not saying all large mantis will pass due to molting, or a small one won’t. Please don’t misinterpret)

I was always proactive at keeping my little buddy alive, clean water, ***good acclamation***. I had a mantis pass due to my ignorance on how well they need to be acclimated. But I hear of these little hitchhikers on live rock living, and I know they didn’t get acclimated right. Which’s leaves me to believe that the smaller mantis are just hardier.

Hope this helps some.
Go with the smaller one.
thanks, ill go with the smaller ones then. they are already eating well and active there. they will probably ship the mantis tomorrow or the day after. They will be in transit for around 3 hours heard they were hardy so i don't think i should be too too worried about it. ill update after the mantis shrimp arrives

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guessing this is a peacock? not really sure since some people call simillar looking ones other things. any help with identifcation would help out a lot so i can set up its permanent tank accordingly.

nmotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great choice and for anyone wondering…. never pass on a small Peacock. They have fewer risks and you’ll have the opportunity to watch them grow up in your tank. They’re awesome!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The peacock on top

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are peacocks. The leopard print gives them away.

D76E154E-C627-49C5-B9D6-BA189FF4F80B.jpeg 18B786FA-EF9D-438C-BC30-EA9AC708FA94.jpeg
The peacock on top
Thanks! If you said peacock on top, is the second one not one?
Great choice and for anyone wondering…. never pass on a small Peacock. They have fewer risks and you’ll have the opportunity to watch them grow up in your tank. They’re awesome!
That sounds great! Does anyone know how long it takes for them to reach adult size?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

That sounds great! Does anyone know how long it takes for them to reach adult size?
Both are- the smaller one

nmotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Several years… I had one that small once and it took her about 2 years to grow to around 4” long. She still easily had a few years left to grow, but I gave her away when I had to move cross-country. My current Peacock is 3.5” and he’s molting again soon.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are- the smaller one
Whoopsj sorry misunderstood thought you meant the one on top is a peacock
Several years… I had one that small once and it took her about 2 years to grow to around 4” long. She still easily had a few years left to grow, but I gave her away when I had to move cross-country. My current Peacock is 3.5” and he’s molting again soon.
never knew they took so long to grow!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

They go through many series of molts and is rather slow process.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5450C443-983E-4441-AB09-1226941DEFFD.jpeg

Heres the temporary tank the mantis will be in. Don’t mind the murky look, it’s not the water its the glass, the tank has been through a lot in the past 10 years.

The aquascape is some leftover rock from a previous build so it’s not that pretty, just a place for the mantis to hide in. I made a long tunnel with two entrances. The pvc is a bit large though since i’ve set it up before looking for available mantises.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also forgot to mention i won’t turn the light on much as i heard bad things about too much light in a mantis tank.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept my tank dim and I was able to see my mantis all the time. From what I can tell, there eyes are sensitive to light so they don’t like it.

Also there is the possibility of shell rot. But that can also be avoided by keeping up with WC. Good water quality is key.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5450C443-983E-4441-AB09-1226941DEFFD.jpeg

Heres the temporary tank the mantis will be in. Don’t mind the murky look, it’s not the water its the glass, the tank has been through a lot in the past 10 years.

The aquascape is some leftover rock from a previous build so it’s not that pretty, just a place for the mantis to hide in. I made a long tunnel with two entrances. The pvc is a bit large though since i’ve set it up before looking for available mantises.
Looks really good. Put a good amount of rocks for the mantis to build / be able to block off its den. It doesn’t just build with sand.

Get an Aquascape rock, break it down with a hammer and toss it in.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really good. Put a good amount of rocks for the mantis to build / be able to block off its den. It doesn’t just build with sand.

Get an Aquascape rock, break it down with a hammer and toss it in.
Also I hope the scape is sitting on glass. It will try and dig under.
Yep its on the glass. Would these things work?
And im guessing i can just distribute it all along the sandbed?
8CEABC26-BBC2-4B26-BD2E-EBF7D1369E17.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.7%

Back