Help with relocating sump to Garage

rene9898

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 350 with the stock V3 sump.
I want to relocate sump to Garage.

The tank is against a wall that is next to the garage. So plan is to hard plumb everything.

I would like to find a 100 gallon sump as it will need to house my skimmer, 2 media reactors, UV, 3 heaters. I will need to create a manifold system with ball valves to feed everything.

Big question is what return pump (or pumps) to use?

Has anyone relocated their sump similar to what I plan on doing?

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have I relocated my sump to underneath my bathroom sink that’s the wall that the tank is on I did hard plumbing glued everything tight then ran it for two days before patching everything up to make sure of no leeks. What I did was I had the the connections in the wall with a removable cover then the sump itself below the removable cover so I can do maintenance.
I used this return pump as mine it’s great it’s silent and runs great I will say though if you do hard plumbing you need a piece of soft tubing just 3 or 4 inches to absorb the vibration from the pump remember bigger and more parts is always better when it come to plumbing better to have enough of something than not enough lol.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 350 with the stock V3 sump.
I want to relocate sump to Garage.

The tank is against a wall that is next to the garage. So plan is to hard plumb everything.

I would like to find a 100 gallon sump as it will need to house my skimmer, 2 media reactors, UV, 3 heaters. I will need to create a manifold system with ball valves to feed everything.

Big question is what return pump (or pumps) to use?

Has anyone relocated their sump similar to what I plan on doing?

So the garage is on the other side of the wall the tank is on correct? What pump are you using now?

OP
OP
rene9898

rene9898

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have I relocated my sump to underneath my bathroom sink that’s the wall that the tank is on I did hard plumbing glued everything tight then ran it for two days before patching everything up to make sure of no leeks. What I did was I had the the connections in the wall with a removable cover then the sump itself below the removable cover so I can do maintenance.
I used this return pump as mine it’s great it’s silent and runs great I will say though if you do hard plumbing you need a piece of soft tubing just 3 or 4 inches to absorb the vibration from the pump remember bigger and more parts is always better when it come to plumbing better to have enough of something than not enough lol.

thanks I’ll check out the pump, not too worried about pump being loud as sump is going in garage but will use soft tubing to absorb some noise.

erichuyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you'll be restricted by the Red Sea's plumbing and it's probably a good idea to make the last bit to the pump with soft tubing anyway why don't you make it and then try the pump you have now?
Might be enough, might not be.

Alternatively you could solve 2 things by just buying an extra Varios S2 and doing this:

I've relocated my sump to the garage as well, sadly the proces has stalled massively because of a house buying opportunity, and I'll be trying this as well but with Y ball check valves.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make a table for the sump, slightly lower than tank level so you get a siphon back to the sump.
This does so much more for you, including less head pressure, less back aches and motivation to actually work on it because it will be a pleasure. Just make sure there is adequate heating for the tank if it gets cold.

CayeCaulker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My garage gets too cold during the winter to pull that off. My basement will be where my sump is located but then there is the issue of head pressure and pump selection. Having a sump as close to tank level makes the head pressure and expensive pump requirements a non issue.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider using PEX for the long runs. Much easier and faster than cutting, fitting and gluing. You can still start and end with PVC.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back