Help with seahorse

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, there are VERY FEW LFSs that actually know much about keeping/treating seahorses so I'd be VERY leary of any advice they might give for seahorses. There ARE however, many that CLAIM they do and some of those actually believe they do, even though their knowledge is far less than many regular hobbyists.
I can't actually recommend that particular treatment as in my 18 years of seahorse keeping I've NEVER seen or heard of it being used for seahorses. It doesn't even kill flukes which are common.
Normal treatment for seahorses with parasites would be to use formalin which you can order from amazon. The instructions are on that page I referenced re meds/dosing.
If someone actually HAS used that med successfully on seahorses, hopefully they will chime in here.

OP
OP
Lkemja

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Thank you. I tried looking for the brand you told me but nothing. I wanted to start right away.

OP
OP
Lkemja

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, there are VERY FEW LFSs that actually know much about keeping/treating seahorses so I'd be VERY leary of any advice they might give for seahorses. There ARE however, many that CLAIM they do and some of those actually believe they do, even though their knowledge is far less than many regular hobbyists.
I can't actually recommend that particular treatment as in my 18 years of seahorse keeping I've NEVER seen or heard of it being used for seahorses. It doesn't even kill flukes which are common.
Normal treatment for seahorses with parasites would be to use formalin which you can order from amazon. The instructions are on that page I referenced re meds/dosing.
If someone actually HAS used that med successfully on seahorses, hopefully they will chime in here.

OP
OP
Lkemja

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry but I thought you said the seahorse had passed and therefore urgency was gone also.
As for the remainder of occupants, the best thing you can do now is to greatly improve the water quality. By doing that, you improve the immune systems of the livestock making them more resistant to pathogens of any kind.
Seahorses are like people and have varying degrees of disease resistance and again like people, the ones with the least resistance are the ones that are first to come down with anything.
So, the remaining livestock are more resistant than the one that came down with the possible parasites and may NOT have them in numbers to be problematic at this time and if conditions are improved, probably WON'T. You CANNOT TOTALLY ERADICATE all pathogens in a tank unless you are going to be continually treating said tank, and anything that WILL work for ALL pathogens will also be detrimental to a tank such that it has to be treated in a hospital tank, leaving the display with still some that under the right conditions are going to be problematic again
As for the link you posted about Fritz, it really means little to me as companies are always putting the best looking info out to the customers but don't readily point all the things that can go wrong. I personally don't trust completely, anything they say can be treated in a display tank.
Companies put out products that will make them the most money and their advertising makes people think they are getting the best they can for their money. At least they admit this product DOES NOT KILL FLUKES, but how many other parasites does it not kill?? They usually know other products (cheaper) that do the same thing but don't make them the same money.
When it comes to seahorses, most companies have NOT trialed their products on seahorses so they CANNOT state that it works for them.
In the end, it's safest to use what is already known to work for seahorses. JMO.

OP
OP
Lkemja

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that link and put it up thinking maybe had info of ingredients that you are aware of. I only lost 1 erectus (nugget) I have 1 more errectus shes small and her name is oreo. (Blk with white small stripes) 3 pairs of adult dwarfs, 2 sets of frys (1 set of 7 are 3-4 weeks old and another set of 7-9 3 days old)

OP
OP
Lkemja

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200811_192016.jpg
20200830_165815.jpg
20200830_164304.jpg

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think YOU sound dumb, you should have been around when I started back in 2002 when SO MUCH of what WAS available turned out to be wrong. Fortunately, being 77 and having mild cognitive impairment, I don't REMEMBER exactly how dumb I was, but still can't forget the MAJOR stupid things I've done over the years.
Now, data base information is much better factually such that success in the hobby has improved tremendously.
You have never sounded dumb to me, just uniformed and there IS a difference.
Now, with all the stickies that you can learn from at the top of this forum, and, the Facebook seahorse groups, you can be even more knowledgeable and be helping those that come after you.

OP
OP
Lkemja

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you rayjay! Lastnight I did an20% water change. My erectus isn't eating now

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but I don't remember now if you had FW dipped this one when you did the other. If not you can do it now.
If there is extreme thrashing about, AND you end up with a lot of imploded parasites in the container then treat for parasites. If not a lot of parasitic action then like P12 says, treat for bacterial problem that is probably internal if no external sign appears.
In any case treat in a separate hospital tank or even a 5g bucket if it's reliably cleaned and no chemicals induced into the plastic.
For parasites I'd use formalin but as you already have that Fritz then use that in the hospital container.
For bacteria, I'd use Furan II and/or tri-sulpha in the hospital tank.
In both cases match temperature, s.g., pH and have heavy aeration with open ended airlines. Artificial hitching is best.
20% water change when you have problems is insufficient IME. I'd never do less than 50 but more often 75-90% depending on severity of the problem.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 136 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back